Ultra Marathons

1 lurker | 456 watchers
Sep 2020
1:36pm, 10 Sep 2020
762 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Thats a shame, but I can see why they would not want to be taking the risk at the moment.

The Great Escape, which I have run the past couple of years, is going ahead in Southern belgium in 2 weeks time (though I'm not running this year).

Normally it starts over in Luxembourg and runs up the Escape Ardenne and Eislek trail route into Belgium, but they don't have permission to cross the border at the moment. Then just a few days ago they had their permission to start and end in one of the small villages removed due to another race organiser not following the rules and having big crowds a week ago. Luckily the RD was able to make up a new course based on other races quickly, but could very easily have been the end of it through no fault of the organisers.
Sep 2020
2:01pm, 10 Sep 2020
12,587 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I was watching YouTube videos and think I spotted Macca
Sep 2020
5:17pm, 10 Sep 2020
457 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
Good spot NDW, here’s another one....(I wore the same t-shirt on Saturday, theory being it’s easier to pick out in race photos).

Sep 2020
10:28pm, 10 Sep 2020
2,204 posts
  •  
IanS
Probably no great surprise but Lakes in a Day has been cancelled as well.
Sep 2020
10:31pm, 10 Sep 2020
17,719 posts
  •  
Rosehip
That's a shame - I guess starting in groups of 6 would have been too long a total time. Shorter events stand more chance.
Sep 2020
10:33pm, 10 Sep 2020
2,206 posts
  •  
IanS
Apparently neither the school or racecourse was willing to host them, and there were a number of parish councils along the way not being very keen either.
Sep 2020
10:40pm, 10 Sep 2020
17,721 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Councils are causing issues with yoga and pilates classes here - Covid risk assessments aside they're just not letting out village halls for anything. Think lots of events of all types will suffer from this :(
Sep 2020
10:54pm, 10 Sep 2020
36,425 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Shame about LIAD.

We had about 250 runners at the Classic Quarter. We were set off at approx 20-second intervals, which took from 5:45 to 7:15. It was effectively a time trial rather than a mass start race. We queued appropriately distanced at the start as each person's pre-notified start time approached.

There were seven water stations (all open air) along the 44 miles prior to the finish and I guess they must all have got permission from someone to be sited where they were, usually at edge-of-village or edge-of-path locations. Two marshals at each station with very good foot pump-operated water pipes so we could fill up with no contact with anything or anyone. Usually I encountered, in addition to these, only two or three runners at each location.

At the finish, a guy in the back of a mid-sized lorry sent t-shirts and medals down a long wooden chute to each runner. It all felt very safe from the runner's perspective. I hope the organiser found it satisfactory too.
Sep 2020
7:25am, 11 Sep 2020
1,896 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Sounds like the immediate future, Synge. Low-key, register and go type events
Sep 2020
7:28pm, 11 Sep 2020
4,728 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Fully support the cancelling of the Fling. Personally, disappointed but it's all about the bigger picture.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.