Support thread for parents of teenagers

135 watchers
Oct 2022
8:47am, 13 Oct 2022
6,262 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Yep she's done well there.
"The pressure to learn and cram is relentless" sums up what is wrong with our approach to young people at the moment. It's so damaging to their mental health :(
Oct 2022
8:52am, 13 Oct 2022
27,026 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Excellent work, Teen, and top supporting.

I don't have a mum buddy to compare notes with and I think the carefully constructed coping is cracking. Meeting the tutor tonight for a "settling in" chat (only 5 mins ha).

Cornet lessons are another problem: 20min plus transit time out of a different lesson each week - disruptive to T11 and probably everyone else while he crashes around packing his bag in the middle of science or whatever. I really want him to carry on with the lessons, but I'm not sure if this is in his best interests.
Oct 2022
8:53am, 13 Oct 2022
2,706 posts
  •  
Cheeky’s Dad
Well done Dipps teen!
Oct 2022
9:03am, 13 Oct 2022
38,285 posts
  •  
halfpint
Well done to Dipps’ youngster. I hope it’s not too much of an effort and she has some strategies to decompress after all that swimming.
Oct 2022
9:23am, 13 Oct 2022
26,816 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Fwiw Lizzie I think there’s a struggle I’ve never resolved how much structure and intervention really help build strong adults. I would have ditched guides and piano as a child but I ended up grateful for both. When a child really needs to be in control, do you facilitate that so they can cope, or does that set unrealistic expectations and lead to a lack of resilience?
Cornet keeps T11 part of another group and it’s a skill which is not reliant on anyone else - but if he’s telling you he wants to give it up and never expresses any enjoyment it is expendable
You pretty much have to arrange separate additional time with tutors if you have a child that tries and get stressed and needs rules to work because when they hit secondary the default assumption is they are mostly oblivious to school
Oct 2022
9:25am, 13 Oct 2022
26,817 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Thanks all I’m both proud and relieved. It feels like GCSEs are not dead in water after all. I won’t be going back to work anytime soon though, and although I’m sad about that, it will be worth it if this ends up with a more self sufficient child and a greater ability to work in future. Jam tomorrow
Oct 2022
11:15am, 13 Oct 2022
3,859 posts
  •  
jelly
Well done Dipps teen x
Oct 2022
11:49am, 13 Oct 2022
57,455 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good news on teen's progress. Lizzie, I concur w Dipps. You know where we are x
Oct 2022
12:04pm, 13 Oct 2022
10,464 posts
  •  
sallykate
Really pleased to hear good news re teen Dipps.
Oct 2022
9:20am, 19 Oct 2022
57,538 posts
  •  
LindsD
LittleD won't get up and we know she's been on the phone all night. I'm so exhausted and I have parenting classes this morning, which always leave me in a heap as I come away feeling like a total failure.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Thread was started by Trin, back when her kids were in their teens.

A place to vent, but also to share good news.