Support thread for educators of any type, academics, teachers, early years etc.

37 watchers
10 Feb
8:59am, 10 Feb 2024
3,056 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Unfortunately, our uni is very pro-AI. The first patent with an AI inventor came from us, so we can only restrict its use based on "professional norms". The boundaries are very blurred.

I'm sure it has its uses, but degrees are going to be worthless in a couple of years time if we don't sort it out.
10 Feb
9:19am, 10 Feb 2024
49,344 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes, it's going to be a difficult transition in work and education, trying to come to terms with use of AI for creation, and for consumption, collation, curation, and even for insight and understanding.

Just for educators, as a contrast or comparison, in work we are happy to re-use, but with attribution or licensing, as required. But for things like computer, in addition to AI creating, we need to control it for the above legal licensing reasons but also for unintended consequences.

That's where a whole new industry or capability needs to be developed - how to direct and control AI to meet our legal, ethical and functional expectations. It's going to be messy for a decade. I hope the unintended consequences don't outstrip the controls. Hmm.

My tutee (S5) still hasn't attended school but his responsible adult at home this week was his aunt instead of dad. And she seemed quite happy and capable to work on his maths curriculum with him, which would be excellent. He's not going to get through the subject in the 1 hr a week that I can give him. :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Grast_girl
There are enough educators on here that I thought it might be nice to have somewhere supportive to rant and problem solve.

Everyone is welcome.

DHE guide for primary schools:
gov.uk

HE survey supporting staff wellbeing:
educationsupport.org.uk