Sub 3Hr Marathon

5 lurkers | 306 watchers
SJA
13 May
11:11am, 13 May 2024
212 posts
  •  
SJA
Absolutely. Never too late to improve. I went from 3:50 marathons in my 30s - A 'lucky' 3:42 at 40 (6 weeks after a 4:45) to a very wet, windy and cold 3:20 at 50 ( 2 weeks ago).

The latter was for building up mileage with some structure and then following an actual training plan (P&D 18/70) for once!

Yorkshire marathon October and I'm tempted to start lurking here but I don't want to get too cocky LOL!
SPR
13 May
11:15am, 13 May 2024
44,230 posts
  •  
SPR
Here's the Hadd thread on here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/hadd-s-approach-to-distance-running-31192/

It's been quiet recently but if you're interested and post on there, some of the old regulars may pop up.

The method is essentially easy running most days of a hour or more and a couple of runs of threshold runs a week.
13 May
1:54pm, 13 May 2024
2,393 posts
  •  
Brunski
SPR Reading that HADD paper was probably my first step toward training properly and consistently. Prior to that I probably ran too hard, not for long enough, and tried to race parkrun every week.

It's not a magic bullet but putting in an 8-12 week block of HADD base definitely improved my running, I still stick to many of the principles/HR zones now.
jda
13 May
1:58pm, 13 May 2024
17,057 posts
  •  
jda
Sounds like a great run in challenging circumstances rhb, well done.
13 May
2:22pm, 13 May 2024
2,394 posts
  •  
Brunski
Yeah sorry missed your run update rhb, looks a very well managed effort!
13 May
2:27pm, 13 May 2024
3,714 posts
  •  
Bowman πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ
A well executed marathon rhb, well behaved for the conditions. :)
SPR
13 May
3:11pm, 13 May 2024
44,238 posts
  •  
SPR
Elevation changes are interesting there rhb, doesn't look like the easiest course. Good work.

Brunski yes, most plans are trying to train you for a race whereas HADD is just trying to get you fitter that's why it's great long term. As you imply, it doesn't have to be done that way (it is after all essentially an interpretation of Lydiard with HR) but it seems to be one of the easiest to follow plans out there that's about long term based development.
13 May
3:29pm, 13 May 2024
2,395 posts
  •  
Brunski
Yep I've pointed a few of my running mates toward the HADD doc. I clearly remember jogging along at 70% HR max for my easy runs and the paces at that effort taking big jumps every few 3 or 4 weeks.

I then dabbled with the Karvonen method for HR training but kept the easy stuff easy by HADD terms.
13 May
4:06pm, 13 May 2024
7,154 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
rhb - sounds as though you used the race to learn some things. It's got to help going forwards.

Wezza - I would say running as many easy miles as you can is the best place to start and given your age at least one stength raining session a week to help combat age related muscle loss. both of those should also help with weight loss if that's a goal.
rhb
13 May
11:40pm, 13 May 2024
2,262 posts
  •  
rhb
Thanks all.

Yes I realised I made some basic errors in the week ahead of MCR and on the day too. Pretty much all corrected yesterday so gives me an idea of what to feel and a confidence boost for moving towards Abingdon in the Autumn. A bit of prep for a 5km series and some time on the bike hopefully too between now and prep for that starting though, after a week or so of rest obvs.

One observation, the 3h15 pacers ran an interesting strategy, they caught me around 4 to 5 miles going uphill and I left them behind downhill this yo-yo carried on until mile 16 where I was with them, in a group of about 15-20 runners maximum. They then set an astonishing pace up the 4 mile hill taking all with them at first, I stuck to small rise in HR and didn't chase. At 20 miles it levels out then descends mostly, I passed many of the group over the next 10km as they blew apart, it was a trail of destruction. I'm told the pacers finished in 3h12 which is a strong run for those who stayed with them.

Also, Garmin Pace Pro was set to 2h58m30s so I set it going then didn't try to run to it, so every .6 of a mile it set me a newly adjusted mile pace for the next mile, and told me my difference to expected finish time. I mostly ignored it as I was never going to be near that pace but it does look like it could be useful over a closer to goal paced effort.

They also had 3hr pacers (not advertised) who I'm glad I didn't impulsively chase as that would have been an awful way to arrive at the 4 mile climb...

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
28 April Boston
Brunski 2:52:33
28 April Newport

Miser 2:50:14
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.