13,278 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
A.N.Other Runner BTECH
Jun 2010
2:00pm, 4 Jun 2010
843 posts
  •  
the FIRST plan was published in RFunners World in Febraury 2006, I have the article as a PDF.

If anyone is interested in the pdf, please fmail me and I can email it to you, if you really want it that is!
Jun 2010
2:01pm, 4 Jun 2010
5,386 posts
  •  
Rach E
Boab, Thanks for the tip - interesting! I was actually thinking of going back to more structured shoes when I started running again as I was convinced it had been caused by a lack of arch support in some trainers I'd switched to in November (although it may have been doing too much running in the snow in spikes in December/January). I'm so glad you got it sorted though.
Jun 2010
2:02pm, 4 Jun 2010
11,347 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
*If* you have a good BASE already, and you do the X-training and Rest, it isn't an unreasonable programme, is it? Although buying the book seems superfluous as the review seems quite comprehensive ;-)
Jun 2010
2:03pm, 4 Jun 2010
31,246 posts
  •  
GregP
Amby Burfoot, Runner’s World executive editor and Boston Marathon winner, calls the FIRST training program "the most detailed, well-organized, and scientific training program for runners that I have ever seen."
Jun 2010
2:05pm, 4 Jun 2010
8,347 posts
  •  
Pammie
Rach summed up my initial thoughts before i read this thread, i didn't think Haile did FIRST training

But i now feel ill i do when ever the words run less but race faster are mentioned
Whats wrong with a few extra miles

As it goes i pb'd a marathon by not following the FIRST stye of running
Jun 2010
2:06pm, 4 Jun 2010
4,232 posts
  •  
sioux
Lol. It's good if you doing tris and fitting in cycling and swimming too.

I did actually use the FIRST sched when I worked fulltime 12 hr night/day shifts of no reg pattern as kept having to miss sessions of the more trditional sheds.

Psyhologiclly that worked well as I wasn't 'missing' training.

The mara where I did a more traditional sched looked on course to be a big pb tho ( till the tropical heat of Embra blew me out the water!)
Jun 2010
13,279 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
I'ma Bampot...??

A resounding endorsement then.

Are there any left from this Print Run..??
Jun 2010
6,291 posts
  •  
Boab
Rach I trained with it for months. Turns out the pressure of the structure of the shoes/orthotics on the fascia was too much, enflaming it at the heel and for most of the time along the arch. Agony in the morning and eased off during the day. Within days of switching to proper flats it had gone, and the 140 quid orthotics with it!!! It would appear that my feet did not need any arch support.
Jun 2010
2:10pm, 4 Jun 2010
6,292 posts
  •  
Boab
Greg, can you place it on the book swap thread, I would like to trade it with a book of equal arse wipe potential - "BNP - The future"

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
What do we think, guys?

Cut and paste from a review on Amazon:

The book is for anyone who wants to improve their running performance and is divided into 4 sections. The first section explains the FIRST approach, where a "3 plus 2" format is the foundation. This means you have 3 quality runs each week and 2 cross training workouts.

The second section is how to follow the program. Briefly, one day is a cross training day, then a "track repeats" day, then a cross training day, then a "tempo run" day, a day of rest, a "long run" day, and then either another rest day/or optional cross training day. Cross training days include activities such as cycling or swimming.