Discovering you've been pronouncing a word wrong all your life

47 watchers
JCB
Jan 2023
8:52am, 1 Jan 2023
3,850 posts
  •  
JCB
I suspect the pronunciation for Hyundai is catered to the local area. In adverts in Australia they emphasise ending in ‘day’.

This is interesting:
hyundaiofasheville.com

Excerpt: How to Pronounce “Hyundai”?

As you might imagine, the pronunciation of Hyundai changes depending on where you are in the world. In the US, the commonly accepted pronunciation of Hyundai rhymes with “Sunday”—you’ll notice that this is how it’s said in American advertisements. With that said, in the UK, it’s often pronounced “high-UN-dye.”Of course, Hyundai is a Korean company, and in Korea the pronunciation is closer to “HYUN-day.”
Jan 2023
11:34pm, 1 Jan 2023
20,042 posts
  •  
3 Wise Ms
On a related note (since our US cousins got a mention!) does anyone know the Iraqi and Iranian pronunciation of Iraq and Iran respectively?

US pronunciation seems to be Eye-rack and Eye-ran, UK is usually Ih-rack and Ih-rahn. But are either of them right?
Jan 2023
11:56pm, 1 Jan 2023
40,898 posts
  •  
Night-owl
JCB I don't know what adverts you get where you are but here new advert covering this till a woman at end says its Hyun-dai or similar
Jan 2023
11:59pm, 1 Jan 2023
40,899 posts
  •  
Night-owl
https://youtu.be/8peKcSEDFB4
JCB
Jan 2023
12:30am, 2 Jan 2023
3,864 posts
  •  
JCB
My hearing isn’t great but it seems she says “hyoon-dy” (very short vowel ending) and then the voiceover is “hyoon-day” (oon being like Spanish “un”).
Jan 2023
3:22am, 2 Jan 2023
12,750 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
I’m in US at the moment and was surprised to hear the TV newsreader pronounce Maryland almost like Marilyn.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
I saw something the other day questioning why some words ending in 'e' which have that &ap...