RUNNERS WORLD RUN LESS RUN FASTER

7 watchers
Aug 2010
12:09pm, 6 Aug 2010
818 posts
  •  
GlennR
While reading this thread (yes, I'm really busy with work, thanks for asking) this week's New Scientist landed on my mat. The cover story is "End of spacetime: has the fabric of the universe unravelled?"

Which I guess means that it doesn't really matter how many days a week we train?
Aug 2010
12:12pm, 6 Aug 2010
34,072 posts
  •  
GregP
Indeed Glenn. Train as little or as often as you like, and I'll still be faster than you over 400m :p
Aug 2010
12:13pm, 6 Aug 2010
819 posts
  •  
GlennR
Put your money where your mouth is Greggers and I'll see you at a track of your choosing. ;-)
Aug 2010
12:21pm, 6 Aug 2010
8,601 posts
  •  
macca53
I've used the first programme for the same reason Greppers used it but I fully accept that to be the best RUNNER I can be I would need to ditch some or all of the cross-training bits.

But.....

how about 3 runs a week totalling 100-120 miles at a variety of carefully controlled paces/heartrates....

Hang on a minute, Ladies and Gentleman I give you the Macca Plan - just send £9.95 +£5 P&P and I'll write it down for you;)
Aug 2010
12:26pm, 6 Aug 2010
820 posts
  •  
GlennR
I promise to buy it immediately after you've qualified for Boston using your plan macca. ;-)
Aug 2010
12:28pm, 6 Aug 2010
34,077 posts
  •  
GregP
I'm waiting for the NEW Macca Plan which is exactly the same but with a free wallchart.
Aug 2010
12:36pm, 6 Aug 2010
1,303 posts
  •  
lunaman
Oh hello. I must read this web site in full sometime, there's lots going on here.

I hear my name was called in vain (thanks KB!). Yes indeedy, I did follow FIRST-ish plans for a long while and enjoyed it. If anyone wants a fairly serious personal comparison of marathon training schedules in ONE specific case - ie me, check my blog or I'm happy to discuss them here. Just let me get a muffin to eat while I deal with all the runners' abuse :-)
Yep, BOAB, my mara PB remains soft in comparison, so the speedy FIRST sessions worked well for my shorter speeds but not for my longer endurance. However, I failed by not even doing as much cross-training as a regular cyclist commuter might.

Oh, and I did qualify for Boston, but I'm not going, so there :-p
Aug 2010
1:27pm, 6 Aug 2010
1,522 posts
  •  
Jhuff
Is the book available in audio? is there a video version as well?

I qualified for boston but I am not going either :)
Aug 2010
1:32pm, 6 Aug 2010
11,008 posts
  •  
ogee
Nowt wrong with Boston, I hear they put on a great 6 & 12hr event;)
Aug 2010
1:39pm, 6 Aug 2010
8,732 posts
  •  
Pammie
Better still get yourself a programme on the active channel

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
What do we think, guys?

Cut and paste from a review on Amazon:

The book is for anyone who wants to improve their running performance and is divided into 4 sections. The first section explains the FIRST approach, where a "3 plus 2" format is the foundation. This means you have 3 quality runs each week and 2 cross training workouts.

The second section is how to follow the program. Briefly, one day is a cross training day, then a "track repeats" day, then a cross training day, then a "tempo run" day, a day of rest, a "long run" day, and then either another rest day/or optional cross training day. Cross training days include activities such as cycling or swimming.