RUNNERS WORLD RUN LESS RUN FASTER

7 watchers
Aug 2010
11:36am, 6 Aug 2010
1,068 posts
  •  
Lalli
Hal Higdon's training plan was the reason I got injured when I was training to run my first marathon last year! But the PF advice is something I'll look at in terms of ankle mobility and leverage issues.
Aug 2010
11:39am, 6 Aug 2010
34,064 posts
  •  
GregP
I did Hal Higdon's vets plan when I was training for Brighton - it only involves running three times a week, plus a lot of cross training, so was perfect for me.
Aug 2010
1,984 posts
  •  
Izzy Backyet
runners world seem to have the same artices in it each month- the most used, and crappest, is 'run less,run faster'
Aug 2010
5,090 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Hal = Bloody nice bloke
Aug 2010
11:44am, 6 Aug 2010
5,257 posts
  •  
Vicksta
My running club follows the FIRST schedule for marathon training. Two ladies who are similar speed to myself followed it, while I followed the RW sub 3.30 schedule (i.e long runs done slowly, running 50 mpw)- we were all traning for sub 3.30. We ended up getting marathon times within minutes of each other, all around 3:40, though they did Berlin, I dd Halstead.

So my opinion is, nothng particularly wrong with the FIRST schedule, but nothng out of the ordinary either. If both ladies had both done much better or worse than me I might have been convinced that is was a good thing or a bad thng, but am not convinced either way.
Aug 2010
11:49am, 6 Aug 2010
326 posts
  •  
wriggle
IB - I think you'll find that "Eat more, weigh less" and "The one stretch/session/gimmick that EVERY runner must do" are also up there in contention for the (apparently coveted) Most Over-Used And Crappy Cover Line title.

Hal Higdon's book is quite good, on the whole - given than it only costs the same as about 2.3 copies of RW, it's not hard to decide which offers the best value for money.
Aug 2010
11:52am, 6 Aug 2010
34,069 posts
  •  
GregP
The HH 'masters running' or somesuch is excerable, but I did like the plan, as it suited my lifestyle.
Aug 2010
11:58am, 6 Aug 2010
6,449 posts
  •  
Boab
What a pile of shite. It may well suit lifestyle, but it is certainly not the way to improve your marathon times, unless you have never ran a marathon in your puff. Run as much as you can at various paces from marathon pace to marathon pace + 3 minutes for varying lengths of time and you will get there a lot quicker than any of these fad training plans. Simplez
Aug 2010
12:00pm, 6 Aug 2010
327 posts
  •  
wriggle
No, I was thinking about the "Marathon running for everyone, ever, at every age" type book; which looked dire on first glance but a closer inspection revealed some pretty useful information. He waffles (marginally) less than Bob Glover, and doesn't feel obliged to make every third word an abbreviation - so is fairly readable, too.
Aug 2010
12:02pm, 6 Aug 2010
34,071 posts
  •  
GregP
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, Boab, and to express it as forcefully as you like. I am also entitled to take mild offence.

However, if running a spring marathon is what one does to keep amused until the triathlon season starts it is a different KOF.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
What do we think, guys?

Cut and paste from a review on Amazon:

The book is for anyone who wants to improve their running performance and is divided into 4 sections. The first section explains the FIRST approach, where a "3 plus 2" format is the foundation. This means you have 3 quality runs each week and 2 cross training workouts.

The second section is how to follow the program. Briefly, one day is a cross training day, then a "track repeats" day, then a cross training day, then a "tempo run" day, a day of rest, a "long run" day, and then either another rest day/or optional cross training day. Cross training days include activities such as cycling or swimming.