Race Tech T-Shirts - A Question

8 watchers
Dec 2017
3:28pm, 1 Dec 2017
27,850 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
You just need to get down the gym chaps! ;-) I bought the VLM branded vest rather than the T, cos got too many Ts!

I'd like a buff (you know you can get non-branded band ie. not Buff(TM)?), hat, gloves, even socks, cos we've all got too many Ts! I actually prefer a cotton T now, if it's a good design, because I'm more likely to wear it in the pub, garden, on a walk etc.

Got a Quaich from Cateran 55. Beat that! :-) G
Dec 2017
3:28pm, 1 Dec 2017
18,756 posts
  •  
Meglet
I got a pair of socks from a race once, I liked that. Not event specific though.

I like wearing a vest, it reduces the tan-line issue and is cooler, and wear my club vest over something if needed. But it does need to be ladies cut.

Whilst I like getting clothing, especially tech shirts from races, there are very few I actually wear because most don't do a ladies fit and the small unisex is too big, that's if there's even some left.

Whatever you choose you won't please anybody. Some will say 'I really wanted another t-shirt' if you change it for something else. So just pick something you like!
Dec 2017
3:32pm, 1 Dec 2017
7,028 posts
  •  
CStar
+1 for a buff or actually go old school with a cotton T Shirt.
Dec 2017
3:33pm, 1 Dec 2017
27,851 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was astonished at the number of unhappy people when we didn't have a medal at one of our races. We just assumed everyone had a million medals, and stuck them in the drawer and never saw light of day. Serious unhappiness from some folk - I guess given that there are names like RunsForMedals and of course our very own GimmeMedals etc shows how even experienced runners love a medal medal ! And why not! :-) G
Dec 2017
3:37pm, 1 Dec 2017
11,482 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I'm surprised more races don't offer an opt-in short option - I've done one where you paid extra for a souvenir tech-shirt and just got a goodie bag if you didn't. We used to do towels - since being advised to offer a medal instead our 10k has sold out. I might start looking for races that don't do a medal in the hope they might not be sold out within the day they open for entries ;)
Dec 2017
3:38pm, 1 Dec 2017
14,861 posts
  •  
Dvorak
It's the cold omg the cold! Also, my shoulders are hairier than my head (tmi ;-)?).

As for vest vs shorts and cold thing - I am about to go cycling. I'm wearing seven layers on the top half. And shorts.
Dec 2017
3:45pm, 1 Dec 2017
11,483 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
That should have said 'shirt' option ...
Dec 2017
9:10am, 2 Dec 2017
8,287 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Yes AL, I did Skegness 10k a couple of weeks back and it was £12 entry without t or £20 with it. I loved that option, if only they would have given me the option of knocking another quid off to forego a medal it would have been perfect.
Dec 2017
9:43am, 4 Dec 2017
6,126 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Thanks for all the feedback, as it happens due to the discussion I have got a contact for printed buffs at £2 each so I am going to explore than for a completely different race series I am involved with organising (South Wales Winter Fell Series). I think I have gone off the vests idea simply because I'm not a representative person even among regular racers it appears.
Dec 2017
9:55am, 4 Dec 2017
3,469 posts
  •  
larkim
Given my drawer full of t-shirts, I'd quite happily take a break from getting new ones now until this lot are all worn through - I've got my favourites for running in, and even if we're behind on the laundry at home that still only needs me to have 4 or 5 "favourites" whilst the rest languish unused.

Conwy Half had the numbers printed with a marker indicating tech-tee or normal-tee so it was easy enough at the end for the volunteers to distribute the right items, though I didn't see what it was like during the very busy periods from about 1hr45-2hrs, so it's not too much faff, and it should have been fairly clear to participants on their bibs to remind them what they selected when they entered the race. I think in a spirit of lacking wastefullness, that's probably the right way forward for most races these days.

About This Thread

Maintained by The_Saint
My club holds a 20 Mile race in March and we have done a Tech T-Shirt with a sensible choice of size...