Race Tech T-Shirts - A Question

8 watchers
Dec 2017
11:14am, 4 Dec 2017
1,067 posts
  •  
Gromit
I'm another massive no to a vest but I do also have draws full of tech tops that never get a look in , either white - why oh why white ! or don't like the fit.

Another alternative suggestion a local race to me do a mug ....... I drink out of it at least once a week and loved the different momento idea - they were filled with water at the finish then you took it away - so there was also a saving on plastic cups being used at the finish line too .............
Dec 2017
11:16am, 4 Dec 2017
3,471 posts
  •  
larkim
There's of course the very controversial approach which says "why do you need to take anything away at all at the end of a race"?
Dec 2017
12:03pm, 4 Dec 2017
700 posts
  •  
Oranj
This has been the year of the race mug for me - I've picked up three.

Having so many technical shirts from races, I quite like a cotton T instead that I can wear as an everyday shirt. I last got one of those at a race in 2014.
Dec 2017
1:17pm, 4 Dec 2017
6,127 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I very much agree with the question about why we don't just do a race and walk away with nothing? I happily do so.
As for white shirts, I wouldn't even pick one up.
Dec 2017
1:57pm, 4 Dec 2017
3,476 posts
  •  
larkim
On the "white shirts" front - I actually like a white tech-tee as I can generally rely on that to be more "high vis" when illuminated by car headlights on dark roads even than the traditional "hi vis" yellow is.

Though it does need to be a decent quality one (my Wilmslow Half 2012 white Asics one is still going strong!)
Dec 2017
2:07pm, 4 Dec 2017
6,128 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Sadly as has been demonstrated white is one of those colours that should show up well at night but just doesn't - I suspect that this was rehashed only last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKc4qPm7FRI
Dec 2017
2:13pm, 4 Dec 2017
3,477 posts
  •  
larkim
I've seen that vid before. But as it was created by a firm with a vested interest in selling hi vis products, I'm sceptical!
Dec 2017
2:16pm, 4 Dec 2017
3,478 posts
  •  
larkim
There is a valid point in which only materials designed to be reflective are actually very reflective, irrespective of what colour they are. The little slivers of high vis "paint" on RonHill t-shirts etc do work very well. But all topics for a different thread ;-)
Dec 2017
2:27pm, 4 Dec 2017
2,178 posts
  •  
jdarun
I've had a couple of mugs - Hamburg and Haweswater half marathons, the latter even came full of tea which was much appreciated at the time. A nice change from a shirt, and will probably get more use to be honest.
Dec 2017
3:08pm, 4 Dec 2017
2,724 posts
  •  
FreshStart
Useful race 'prizes' include a calendar, a small towel, a buff, cotton t-shirts, a fluorescent yellow t-shirt.

No so useful 'prizes' include various medals, food/drink products I don't like, a horse brass, poor quality race t-shirts.

About This Thread

Maintained by The_Saint
My club holds a 20 Mile race in March and we have done a Tech T-Shirt with a sensible choice of size...