R.I.P. David Bowie

11 watchers
Jan 2016
12:03pm, 11 Jan 2016
8,424 posts
  •  
maT.T.
What to say? Legend, genius, inspiration. Changed the musical landscape but possibly just as importantly gave people the courage to be different and others the acceptance that being different was not a thing to frown at.

I am heartbroken to be frank but his friend and producer basically says it all:

"He always did what he wanted to do," the message begins. "And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art. He made 'Blackstar' for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry."
Jan 2016
12:11pm, 11 Jan 2016
2,901 posts
  •  
Huntsman
Well said mat and also his sketch with Ricky Gervais 'funny little fat man' is simply brilliant.
Jan 2016
12:11pm, 11 Jan 2016
282 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
I am still getting my head around this. My biggest regret is not ever seeing him live. An amazing artist all round whos influence was so pervasive in late 20th Century art and music. When I woke up this morning I thought the radio report - playing some of his older tunes was just about Blackstar - I could not believe it when it said he had passed away and thought I was having a bad dream.
Jan 2016
12:20pm, 11 Jan 2016
1,335 posts
  •  
BrianJ
I'm old enough to remember him when he appeared on the Old Grey Whistle Test singing Five years. Great song, as all his early 70s stuff was. RIP legend
Jan 2016
12:26pm, 11 Jan 2016
3,179 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
I remember his first outing as Ziggy Stardust on Top of the Pops.

I liked Simon Pegg's message:

"If you're sad today, just think that the world has been around for 4 billion years, and you were on it at the same time as David Bowie."

Golden Years has been going round my head for months, reckon it will be there a while longer yet.
Jan 2016
12:52pm, 11 Jan 2016
11,510 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
I dont think I can quite believe it - what he has left us is just an amazing legacy... he'll never leave us
Jan 2016
12:52pm, 11 Jan 2016
27 posts
  •  
bonners
August 4th 1990, Milton Keynes Bowl. My mate John says, let's stand here, I cant imagine that it'll be that hectic, it is not like the rock festivals we normally go to. Both of us avid rock fans, but out of the group of us at that time only me and John had a love of all things Bowie, especially all things 70s Bowie. So tickets were bought and we found ourselves standing in a field of 59,998 middle aged women (all probably about 10 years younger than me now :D) waiting to see what the live experience would be like.

And then it happened.

The intro tape finished, the stripped down band took their places and a be-suited Bowie casually strolled onto the stage strumming an acoustic guitar with the opening chords to Space Oddity. Next thing we knew, the sedate crowd turned into a frenzied mob as frantic as any Monster of Rock festival from the era. We were swiped off our feet and found ourselves standing directly below the man himself - despite the many changes - he was still The Thin White Duke to us.

Mesmerising show, the crowd just went up a level at a time as Space Oddity flowed into Rebel Rebel, Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars......that was just the opening salvo! Out of the hundreds of concerts I've seen before and since, it is still right up there as one of the very special moments of live music.

Luckily enough Radio 1 then broadcast the next night's show in full and I still have the full concert on tape and more importantly the means to still listen to tape.

I didn't know he was ill, but Bowie forever comes out and strangely enough Pinups, Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory all came out last week for the first time in months. Don't know what prompted it. Unfortunately I only have Hunky Dory on a much abused cassette. Unfortunately as I tried to play it last week the tape kept getting stuck, it had finally died.

Bowie has been one of the artists that has sound-tracked the ups and downs of my life. He will be sorely missed.
Jan 2016
1:51pm, 11 Jan 2016
5,317 posts
  •  
CStar
One of the very few to adapt and change and innovate all the way through his career. Pretty much every Bowie single denotes a particular moment in my life. What a shame, but at least he leaves an enduring legacy.
Jan 2016
3:29pm, 11 Jan 2016
6,545 posts
  •  
Duchess
One of my 20-something colleagues has just said: "Oh was he the guy who sang Karma Chameleon?"
Jan 2016
4:22pm, 11 Jan 2016
21,722 posts
  •  
macca 53
:-o

About This Thread

Maintained by GimmeMedals
A musician with a unique sound and style. I grew up with Bowie music after being bought Hunky Dory. ...