P&D - 70-85mpw - 18 week plan support thread

87 watchers
Dec 2013
11:04am, 6 Dec 2013
3,557 posts
  •  
daviec
BTW, if anyone is interested I've put the P&D 18 week 85+ plan into the training plans bank on fetch.
Dec 2013
12:43pm, 6 Dec 2013
2,338 posts
  •  
abdou
Looking forward to first P&D session on Thursday. Been doing nowt but dull steady commutes so can't wait for a bit of purpose! Garmin ran out of battery on way home yesterday just to add to the aimlessness.
Dec 2013
3:03pm, 6 Dec 2013
376 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Quick P&D pace question.
Lactate Threshold runs - to be done between 15k and HM pace ( as I've never done a 15k race I'm using my 10 mile pace which is close enough ).
The bit I don't really get is that slower runners to run these at the faster pace, ie 15k pace, whilst faster runners to run these at their HM pace. Why is this, I'd of thought you should be running at a certain "effort" ( ie HR %age ) which would be the same whatever your speed ?
It doesn't explain why slower runners are to run relatively faster than fast runners - anyone know the reason ?
For me there is 20 secs difference between current 10 mile and HM pace ( 6:28 and 6:47 ), so as I'm neither fast nor slow quess I should run these bang in the middle at 6:30
Dec 2013
3:13pm, 6 Dec 2013
3,558 posts
  •  
daviec
There's another definition of threshold that it's the pace you can hold for an hour, in which case faster runners would do it more towards a longer race distance than slower runners. If that makes sense. I just go with HM pace (effort actually) because I find it tough enough, without having to try to go faster.
Dec 2013
3:34pm, 6 Dec 2013
1,634 posts
  •  
baz p
Agree, HMP is about LT. I read that somewhere aswell..
Dec 2013
3:51pm, 6 Dec 2013
377 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
For all other sessions that are "effort" based, then the effort is the same for all. So the slower runner is obviously working longer to do the x miles, but at the same effort as the fast runner.

This one is a double whammy - the slower runner still has to run longer ( because the distance is the same ) but they also have to work harder. 91% MHR vs 82% MHR according to P&D.

Oh well, that's what the plan says, and I'm a believer, so it must be right ( almost feels like the distance should be shorter for slower runs since their effort is higher, but maybe that would be too complicated to incorporate into the plans )
Dec 2013
3:57pm, 6 Dec 2013
21,392 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Gus, I took that (choosing to class myself as a faster runner! :-O ) as a licence to go slower :-O :-O

I presume it's because as you get faster (or better trained) your half, 10K and even 5K paces get closer. (A less well trained runner who can do 15K at 6:30s, might be 7:30s or more for half, but a well trained runner might be within 15s or less e.g. I am 6:20 for half and 6:00 for 10K, so only 10 or 15s difference for the 15K, which I've never done.)

A thought? :-)G
Dec 2013
1:15pm, 7 Dec 2013
1,329 posts
  •  
True Gritts!
Do people do their tempo runs at the same pace as their LT runs?
Dec 2013
11:02am, 9 Dec 2013
3,562 posts
  •  
daviec
Tempo workouts are meant to improve your LT pace TG. P&D blurb suggests that means you want to run at around your LT for these workouts so your tempo run should be about LT pace. LT changes with training though.
Dec 2013
2:35pm, 9 Dec 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Chris Bell
Just thought I would join this thread as I am planning on starting the P&D schedule in the next few weeks.

I have done a little reading on the lactate threshold question and how to determine the correct pace (or heart rate / both).

This article:

running.competitor.com

I found quite interesting as it uses the borg scale (6 -20) for 'perceived rate of exertion' (or PRE) whereby it states that at 'effort level 13' you should be working at approximately your lactate threshold.

The scale was originally designed to fall roughly inline wth heart rate i.e 6 = 60 bpm (rest) and 20 = 200 (HRM). Using this it would suggest that your HR at LT would be around 130 bpm which seems very low?? However, my interpretation of PRE is that it is not linear i.e the closer you get to maximun the quicker the effort level increases....so the jump from 13 - 20 would be a lot closer than 6 - 12??

Any thoughts??

Chris

About This Thread

Maintained by MattTheRat
This thread was initially about the 70-85mpw 18 week training plan from Pfitzinger & Douglas's excellent book Advanced marathoning. It's since widened out to include all the plans from P&D for any marathon. Maybe one day we'll get the thread title changed.

Current and planned P&D plan followers include:

MtR 55-70mpw London
Mrs Jigs 55-70mpw London
TripletDad up to 55mpw Edinburgh
Alexv 70-85mpw London
Crave 70-85mpw Vienna
thechunkygentleman 55-70mpw Edinburgh