At sea with targets and appropriate paces...

2 watchers
Feb 2012
8:03pm, 3 Feb 2012
26 posts
  •  
hopisen
Icemaiden - Marathon of the north on may 6th - I'm working on 5/6 days training a week, with 2/3 hard sessions (intervals, hills, tempo), a LSR, and some mimbling about included in that. Am in the 30-40 mile week zone at moment - probably won't do a single week over 50m...

MrsWinkle - coo, really! I'm still mad at her for beating me handily in the 10k. Too damn fast, that woman! I've still got her beat in the 5k though, so she's not allowed to parkrun ever. *not strictly true*

Thanks Ogee, JohnnyO, I'll definitely check those out.

Ta v much SpicedApple. Losing the weight just a question of a brief spurt of iron discipline, I think... It'll be keeping it off that'll be the real triumph to be proud of...
Feb 2012
8:14pm, 3 Feb 2012
3,100 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Hopisen - that's loads enough. Hope you don't beak. That's not too far off now really you should be well into your training schedule, and if you're ramping up a lot you'll get tired. Be prepared to go easier in the hard sessions, there's no point doing them badly, you might as well just run 'em slow or miss them out if you're getting tired. There are those who think them unncessary for marathons and there's something to be said for that. Ditto with the mimbling, miss it if it's a chore and focus on getting the long runs in good and steady.

Spiced Apple - put into the calculator your 'best time' at a distance nearest to your target race for the most 'accurate' output. Adjust as necessary if you race faster at a similar distance before your target race. If your target time is near what's predicted that's cool. If your target time is a lot faster than predicted, you might need to be less ambitious unless your best time is a bit weak i.e. you put in a HM time which is weak compared to a 10 K or 5K for a marathon, but your HM time might be more realistic if you haven't worked hard at HM training beforehand. All calculators are there to help, not to be set in stone.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hopisen
A bit of background. I've lost a fair bit of weight in the last six months (about four and a half s...