If my VO2 Max is quite good why am not getting results ?

6 watchers
Apr 2016
10:17pm, 15 Apr 2016
20,866 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I was always overweight at school and have no aptitude for any sport or athletics. I do have what I call "plodability" and assuming I don't try to run too fast I don't get injured much. It's surprising what hard work, focus and determination can yield though
Apr 2016
10:40pm, 15 Apr 2016
20,868 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
velominati.tumblr.com
Apr 2016
11:59pm, 15 Apr 2016
8,264 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
You're right, I know people who have completed the Lakeland 100 that for distances less than 50+ miles I'm loads quicker.
Apr 2016
12:05am, 16 Apr 2016
20,873 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Me too
Apr 2016
9:31am, 16 Apr 2016
32,087 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Trying to answer all your questions and ignore Lammo not hard ;-)

I planned to follow the 55mpw Plan PD invariably I hit upon a few problems as I've been training for ultras and Ironmans in the last year I slowed got heavier trained for endurance.

So starting at 13 stone I knew I wanted to be at least 11.12 (I was 11.13) on the day of marathon I was strict there. I know I can get lower and it has really helped as my October Half was a struggle at 1.52 (13 st) and Cambridge in Late Feb (12.2) 1.44 was better.

Plus I was running kinda regular my usual week was

Mon Rest or Circuits
Tuesday Speedwork with mile and half run to location (7)
Weds I found I was too tired to do my 8-11 miler so ended up being 5 easy or something
Thursdays I find hard to get out as I have my son till 8 but sometimes I ran in morning 7/8 or evening 5 because I had a swimming coaching session at 9. Mostly another rest day
Fridays I tried to do a bit more 6/7/8

Sat Parkruns tempo or easy
Sunday Long

The problems I found were I was following a 12 week plan so always catching up week 1 injured calf pull. then in Feb I got bad blisters so lost a lot of training. manflu lost a week (you have to allow for this). then another calf problem week 9/10 lost two long run.

so I guess if I'd have done a full programme (16 weeks) put in a few tempos it would have been a lot better.
Apr 2016
7:11pm, 16 Apr 2016
25,502 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
So the midweek 8-11 (or more sometimes, isn't it?) is important - both as a complement to the weekend long run and also for total miles. I did it as a commute run (which is slightly less effective as the former, but helped me get in the miles to contribute to the latter). I usually managed an easy 4 or 5 on my non speedwork day midweek (lunch time run).

And on the 12 vs 16 weeks. I think 12 is only useful if you have a "perfect base". Each cycle can build on the one before and you get continual improvement. But 12 off a meh build up isn't going to get you your best, I don't think. I actually think of the P&D as 18 weeks. A couple of solid weeks going into it, then 16 week cycle, of which 2 is actually the taper at end. If you do 12, of which 2 is taper, then you've really only got 10 quality weeks.

Hard to fit it all in of course. That's why I looked for things like commute running, lunch running with colleagues, club training sessions, running with friends (parkrun, like you do too), tune up races, social races etc. as ways of getting in the miles but usually doing something else at same time, like club, friends, family or even colleague interactions!

Best of luck HoD! :-) G
Apr 2016
10:53am, 17 Apr 2016
32,096 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Yes mate when I was running better in 2009 I was doing it religious every Weds but that was when I had an option of running from station home 8-10 miles great run that. Also I used to do speed on Tuesday and tempo Thursday I was flying. I really should have subbed 3.30 that year.

I have the option when I ain't busy of a Putney bridge run which is nice and about 8 mile as a 'lunch run' ;-). I need to be more organised and disciplined
Apr 2016
12:07pm, 17 Apr 2016
7,285 posts
  •  
simbil
How's your strength?

After all the IM drain on the system and as you get older and heavier it needs a bit more looking after - hill reps work for me.
Apr 2016
12:19pm, 17 Apr 2016
32,103 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Well I'm getting lighter to be fair.

I find my strength needs to improve I've always been aware my legs give out quicker than my CV (see last week)
Apr 2016
6:07pm, 17 Apr 2016
7,287 posts
  •  
simbil
Wish I was getting lighter - I suppose it could be muscle gain that's making me heavier though and not the beer :)

Strength really sorted my running out - a focus on early season hill reps and then weekly maintenance. Allowed me to run longer distances without getting trashed.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)
I guess the obvious answer is weight I'm down from 13 stone to 11.13 with more to come off.

But ...