If my VO2 Max is quite good why am not getting results ?

6 watchers
Apr 2016
4:55pm, 15 Apr 2016
490 posts
  •  
tipsku
Regarding training harder and/or longer a word of caution. Of course you can train harder and longer but you also need to factor in the added recovery time you will need. Contrary to common belief, training effect is not achieved during training but the body adapts to the training stress after the session during the recovery period.

While you need that hard session to force your body to adapt to it, without adequate recovery afterwards, you won't reap the benefits from doing the hard workout in the first place.

Also, you need to make sure that your body is ready for the longer, harder and faster sessions. If it's not, it's a recipe for injury in the long run. This is why I said in my previous post that you'd need to train consistently for years, gradually increasing the training load to achieve constant progress towards your potential maximum.

A few useful articles on the importance of recovery for progress: breakingmuscle.com
and the training effect tool in the modern Garmin models explained (it also says a lot about the importance of easy days and recovery): itsallaboutthevertical.wordpress.com
Apr 2016
5:01pm, 15 Apr 2016
2,135 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
More miles, more miles, more miles. I got my best results off 2,400 mile years: lots of easy miles with a judicious sprinkling of quality. Having said that, I picked up an overuse injury almost 2 years ago which I still haven't recovered from, so you pays your money... Congratulations on the epic wight loss btw. It can only help.
Apr 2016
7:35pm, 15 Apr 2016
8,248 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
tipsku, I have my own thoughts, and it's training smarter not HARDER. For slow old buggers like me I fail to understand why it is necessary to TRAIN more than about 2-2.5 hours. What does the 20-miler achieve? I'm utterly convinced that there is a 'sweet' spot between 90 minutes and 120 minutes. You get maximum benefit and minimal muscle breakdown. In fact for a slow old git, following my own thoughts, I've PB'd at 50k and 50 miles in less than one month.

HappyG, getting older and speed is all relative, if some old geezer is wacking in some epic times, that person would have been so much better if they were 20 years younger.
Apr 2016
8:29pm, 15 Apr 2016
322 posts
  •  
davelord
My vo2 max taken from online calculator based on a race result reflects back to all my recent best performances. Would be onterested to get tested and see if i am near my max
Apr 2016
8:46pm, 15 Apr 2016
690 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
FR, it's not about just training smarter, it's about finding a smarter way to train harder, no matter what age you are. There is no two ways about it the harder (and harder doesn't just mean more!) you train without getting injured, over trained etc. the faster you will run. Yes, a 50 year old will not run as fast as an equally well trained 30 year old version of themselves but a well trained 50 year old will run faster than most other 50 year olds and a lot of people younger than that (and personally speaking that's a lot of fun ;-) ). In the most part you aren't limited by the age of your body but the age of your mind and ambition.
Apr 2016
8:50pm, 15 Apr 2016
8,260 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Totally agree FF. :)
Apr 2016
8:51pm, 15 Apr 2016
8,261 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
..but I'm still not good enough for the BGR no matter how much I think I can do it!!!
Apr 2016
8:52pm, 15 Apr 2016
691 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
And to that end if you can train yourself to do 4 hour training runs without taking food as opposed to only doing 2 hour runs, without it impacting the rest of your week's training (and yes it is possible) then you will end up being able to run your 50k, 50 miles etc faster. It just takes time and doesn't happen over night.
Apr 2016
8:53pm, 15 Apr 2016
692 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Depends how much you want it FR. And I hope he doesn't mind me saying so but DT is a fine example of that :-)
Apr 2016
8:54pm, 15 Apr 2016
8,262 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
To be fair and honest, even during a race I take on limited amounts of food. When in fat-burning mode you don't need a lot (in my experience)

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)
I guess the obvious answer is weight I'm down from 13 stone to 11.13 with more to come off.

But ...