Getting/having a second pair of running shoes

2 watchers
Jan 2014
11:34am, 13 Jan 2014
4,158 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hi guys,

A couple of people at my running club have mentioned having a second pair of running shoes to train in for marathon distance and have as a back-up if the "main" ones, vanish/disintegrate the week before the marathon.

It's taken me a while to really find a pair I like, Ravenna 3's. My Saucony's have vanished (gf is convinced I threw them out, I am convinced I didn't) and I went back to my Vapour 9's after a couple of years last week for a 10k and immediately ran into major blister problems.

I am a bit stuck now. As I can't seem to find any Ravenna 3's anywhere in my size (11) on the internet.

Would you bother with a second pair? I only got them in June and in terms of mileage they have plenty left in them. I have my Kanadia's for parkrun/cross-country stuff. Do many people have a second pair? Do I worry about it if they break down and then panic-buy something? Or would the prudent thing to do would be go get fit for another pair of something else?
Jan 2014
11:37am, 13 Jan 2014
8,959 posts
  •  
DerbyTup
If you have a history of struggling with shoe fit, blisters, shoe induced injuries then buying several pairs of a shoe that works for you makes sense if you can afford it. Manufacturers are forever 'improving' models that might suit you perfectly and its worth safe-guarding against this, if possible ;-)
Jan 2014
11:38am, 13 Jan 2014
8,960 posts
  •  
DerbyTup
If you have a history of struggling with shoe fit, blisters, shoe induced injuries then buying several pairs of a shoe that works for you makes sense if you can afford it. Manufacturers are forever 'improving' models that might suit you perfectly and its worth safe-guarding against this, if possible ;-)
Jan 2014
11:40am, 13 Jan 2014
2,186 posts
  •  
minardi.
you definitely need a spare pair and you need to get them "run" in so to speak. Get thee to a running shop and find something suitable.
Jan 2014
11:42am, 13 Jan 2014
2,510 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
i always have 2 pairs on the go - I rotate them to give them time to dry out etc. this gives me choice on which pair to wear on the day.
Jan 2014
11:46am, 13 Jan 2014
4,180 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I think a lot of people will have a lot more than one pair on the go at any time. I might be slightly at the higher end than average, but in principle I like to have 2-3 different *models* on the go at any time, so my feet don't always have exactly the same contact and support. One of those would be on the lighter side, for speedwork or shorter races. One of them will be the same model as I am going to run my target race in. And I plan ahead to have a pair of my preferred target-race shoe with 50-100 miles on them only by race day.
Jan 2014
11:51am, 13 Jan 2014
8,865 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
A second pair of shoes! Mwahahaha. I can remember when it would have seemed like extravagance - I've got about 10 now!
Jan 2014
11:53am, 13 Jan 2014
4,181 posts
  •  
paul the builder

That's how many are on the go at the moment (although 2 are trail, 1 is fell, and 1 a superlight racer I never wear - so that leaves eight ordinary road shoes...)
Jan 2014
11:54am, 13 Jan 2014
3,809 posts
  •  
Jon_T
I, like several, have a few pairs on the go, although I now find myself having to seek out a new shoe as my current model has been discontinued, I have enough shoes to get me through VLM, then will start looking again when I find the price generally comes down a bit, then get a couple of pairs :-)
Jan 2014
11:55am, 13 Jan 2014
50,256 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
yeah, just two pairs??

I have four on the go
But I do live in 2 places :)

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Hi guys,

A couple of people at my running club have mentioned having a second pair of running sho...