Falls during running

12 watchers
May 2019
10:50pm, 12 May 2019
645 posts
  •  
Exmoor Runner
fell over whilst running on holiday abroad landed in a sharp pointed bush and sliced my ear open ended up in a private clinic to get stitched up
May 2019
10:55pm, 12 May 2019
39,297 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I don't fall often but when I do, I usually follow it with another fall within a couple of weeks.
May 2019
11:31pm, 12 May 2019
3,243 posts
  •  
mr d
Haven't tripped up for ages, worried now.

My favorite was on a forest challenge which also featured walkers, passed on the left end told them tripped on a hidden tree root and commando rolled back into a run. It will never happen again.

Have bruised ribs, grazed knees and elbows, twice ended up with massive bruises after misjudging pavements and breaking my falls on walls.
May 2019
11:32pm, 12 May 2019
54,563 posts
  •  
swittle
Fell over my feet while running spiritedly on a beach - you know, flat, firm, no stones or ridges - and my not inconsiderable body mass landed on my left arm. Next day, from wrist to elbow, my arm had turned black. :-o No pain or loss of movement but disconcerting to passersby.
rhb
May 2019
11:40pm, 12 May 2019
1,300 posts
  •  
rhb
I tombstoned over a tree root a few weeks back, left forearm smacked another route and still has sore lump.

Did similar a few years back at end of a wet fell race on final descent, made a right mess of my hand & tore my nice jacket. Runner behind was surprised I got up they way I fell, said they had expected to reach me & find need to call MRT.

Learning point x2 is pick feet up higher!
rhb
May 2019
11:42pm, 12 May 2019
1,301 posts
  •  
rhb
There was also the time I tripped on the flagstones near Shining Tor. On my own. Landed heavy on my shoulder & was grateful not a broken collar bone, as that'd have been awkward.
May 2019
8:05am, 13 May 2019
3,216 posts
  •  
westmoors
I fall fairly regularly. Often have no memory of the actual falling, it is literally one minute running and the next eating dirt! My avatar is a finish photo after I face planted during a trail race. It looked even worse the following day when my face had swollen :-)
Oct 2019
12:10am, 4 Oct 2019
3,330 posts
  •  
mr d
Saw ths on my watchlist after logging my last run and thought "I'd forgot about that thread".

Needless to say I wiped out tonight. Tripped on a raised paving slab, bruised elbow, cut knee and very sore ribs. Fearing the worst for when I wake up tomorrow.
Oct 2019
7:41am, 4 Oct 2019
1,917 posts
  •  
FurryH
Tripped on a club run passing across a darkened verge and tripped over branch. Stiches in chin and broke wrist. Perfect garmin shaped bruise on broken wrist.

First a&e couldnt deal with it and sent me to another. They werent busy just junior doctor didnt want to stich my chin. Both a&e's neglected to tell me i had broken wrist, they just splinted it. So i assumed sprained. Driving between hospitals and getting home was interesting. Took a visit to a third to get a cast after wrist ballooned.

Now on winter club runs i run with a head torch. :) i also now have smaller garmin.
Oct 2019
9:10am, 4 Oct 2019
19,703 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
I had a classic a few years back. Flaying myself doing intervals, was at a section roadside between a line of stationary cars and some bramble bushes.

One foot planted on a stem from the bush, which created a trip wire for the trailing foot....I went absolutely flying....like Klinnsman in penalty box......one of those where you lie there staring up wondering how you ended up here and what you were doing.

One chap got out of his car to check I was OK, suspect the others were too busy laughing....

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife
I have had three falls in a month whilst running (after probably two years without one).

Today&ap...