starting back

1 watcher
Mar 2015
6:08pm, 11 Mar 2015
23 posts
  •  
ease up
Just started back after a while, October to be precise.

Shins are agony after a couple of miles then ease of once rested for about 10 mins, any advice out there for me .thanks
Mar 2015
7:29pm, 11 Mar 2015
3,759 posts
  •  
Kieren
More rest. You can massage them with a roller / rolling pin & you might find they are even more tender than you thought.

Shin splints is classic over use injury from too much too soon. You will probably need to dial it back a bit which can be hard because your cardio system will develop a lot faster than muscles and connecting tissues.

New shoes can help if you haven't been fitted. Also the following:

--Kneeling, sitting on your heels stretches them out.
-- Rotating your feet when seated. Alphabet shapes make it less boring
-- Walking on your toes and then heals can also help. This is easy to do at home. You might get off looks at the office. I used to this at the gym between sets.

Good luck
Mar 2015
10:39pm, 11 Mar 2015
9,859 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Since it's hardly high mileage you're doing I'd definitely look at the shoes.

As it's a kind of swelling that causes it, you might try rolling a cold can of pop up and down the shins to reduce it.
Mar 2015
10:48pm, 11 Mar 2015
25 posts
  •  
ease up
Thanks guys I intend to get the mileage backup to something decent but might try some of your tips .I got new shoes already to try help remedy,will try the cold drinks can but not sure about walking funny in case I get spotted ,.
Mar 2015
4:06pm, 13 Mar 2015
27 posts
  •  
ease up
Done a nice easy couple of miles on flat at a decent pace been stretching and iceing shin area and feels a bit better thanks for advice will go at it gradually now and build up a decent distance
Mar 2015
4:20pm, 13 Mar 2015
6 posts
  •  
LucyJDowning
I'd say shoes too. I went to Up & Running in Swansea and they looked my gait and helped me find the right shoe. It made a world of difference.
Mar 2015
10:13am, 14 Mar 2015
28 posts
  •  
ease up
Thanks Lucy got new shoes too so may help. Good luck with your 10 k x

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ease up
Just started back after a while, October to be precise.

Shins are agony after a couple of miles th...