Dog attacks and Bites

7 watchers
Oct 2018
10:48am, 30 Oct 2018
441 posts
  •  
Claypole
Cheers for the posts guys, good to hear about others experiences.

Yeah I agree Happy I think us runners and cyclists can be a bit of a target on account of us moving along and dogs liking to chase moving things. :-)

I am happy to slow down for dogs, kids etc as I think it's just common sense on busy paths really. I don't mind being chased by dogs.
For me it is the being genuinely too scared to move or speak and then being bitten I don't like, the trauma stays with me for awhile after.

After last night I realise that I no longer want to put myself in situations where I don't feel safe, I am tired of doing that.
I don't want to give up running yet and think a change of route is on the cards - good old google earth will help I think!
Oct 2018
10:52am, 30 Oct 2018
17,656 posts
  •  
TRO Todd and alligator dodger
I disagree happy. If you are a pet owner and taking a dangerous animal into public places, that animal should be sufficiently trained that it does not threaten/scare people doing normal everyday stuff like running on a towpath.

If it gets antsy and threatening because it feels 'hemmed in' in narrow spaces it shouldn't be taken to those places so other users can enjoy them without having to 'take special precautions' to avoid having the shit scared out of them. If there was a 6 foot skinhead threatening to throw a punch at everyone who walked past him on a tow path, you'd phone the police sharpish....
Oct 2018
10:54am, 30 Oct 2018
1,947 posts
  •  
Fitz
I had a nip from a small yappy terrier type last year, didn't puncture my skin but ripped my winter leggings. That was an isolated incident though, I often run where dogs are roaming off their lead without problems. I tend to slow down if they seem excitable, they usually lose interest pretty quickly.
Oct 2018
10:56am, 30 Oct 2018
7,701 posts
  •  
simbil
Our dog is unpredictable and so is on a lead and muzzled or off lead and muzzled when in very quiet areas. He's worried a couple of runners that I didn't see in time but I've always got him back under control quickly.

Agree with TRO, dogs aren't allowed to bite or intimidate anyone - the law is quite clear and it's common sense too - owner is 100% responsible for actions of the dog that they've decided to bring into a public place.

gov.uk
Oct 2018
11:03am, 30 Oct 2018
16,888 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I've never been bitten, had the odd leg scratch off a dog jumping up. In an area with a lot of dogs off lead. Many owners will call dog to side or put it on leash. Most dogs will either ignore me or barely pass a glance. There is the odd bit of defensive barking but generally if I have approached the dog (there are quite a lot of rescue dogs around here).

I've had a lot more problems on the bike with dogs than I ever have had running.
Oct 2018
11:06am, 30 Oct 2018
14,015 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Only problem I've had with dogs out running - or walking - is from those ON lead. Small dogs on extendable leads, nightmare combination.
Oct 2018
11:13am, 30 Oct 2018
1,926 posts
  •  
Goofee
I changed my response in order to try to work with the situation, I alter direction, slow down, often stop and stand still if I feel it would help. I know they are almost certainly either playful or feeling threatened rather than aggressive but they are still out of control in a public space. In the end it just disrupted my running so much that I decided to avoid the area completely.

And Sharkie - one of the times I was nipped was by a small dog on a long lead!
Oct 2018
11:28am, 30 Oct 2018
29,471 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
But TRO, a shared path is not a race track. I often see cyclists and runners going too fast or in groups or passing very close when it is a busy path. I think we all have a right to use a shared path, but courteously. And running fast, close by a family, child or dog isn't courteous.

Regarding the dog being the owner's responsibility, completely agree. But the ability to get it quickly under control is much reduced if a runner or cyclist is coming along very quickly. If a runner sees a dog off lead, looking aggressive in the distance, slow down and if necessary, bring it to the attention of owner "Hiya, would you mind grabbing your dog please, as I come past?" And then continue safely on your way.

It's the folk that do their intervals and tempos on the canal tow path, doing 6 minute miling, and expect a family or a pram pusher or a dog owner to jump out of the way as they come by that annoy me. I've done my 6 min miling on the canal tow path. But I'll can my interval or tempo if I have to, as it's not *my* path! :-) G
Oct 2018
11:44am, 30 Oct 2018
442 posts
  •  
Claypole
Cheers for all your comments guys.

Good to hear what others have experienced and how you've reacted to it and dealt with it.

Thanks
Oct 2018
12:01pm, 30 Oct 2018
7,343 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I agree with HappyG's comments

I have once been bitten (nipped) really as I was running along a field edge footpath by a medium sized dog. There have been several incidents where I have had dogs jump up at me and I have felt worried that they might bite. I tend to mainly run off road on footpaths, in woods or parks and so on.

I find many dog owners arrogant gits who think it is perfectly acceptable to tell me that 'he doesn't like runners' or 'well he's never done that before' or some other variant of why it is my fault that their dog has attacked me because I am out running (eg 'footpaths are for walkers not runners' - yes seriously).

I know of an instance where a running clubmate was running along a local seafront/prom and saw a man with a dog - the dog jumped up and clearly bit another runner ahead and when the person I know went past (having seen this and not gone too close) the dog lunged and bit him too. The owner just said 'he doesn't like runners'.

If I should ever be bitten by a dog again while out running I would now seriously consider reporting it to the police.

I own a dog and would consider myself quite experienced around dogs

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi Everyone

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with unwanted attention from dogs w...