Dog attacks and Bites

7 watchers
Oct 2018
12:51pm, 30 Oct 2018
556 posts
  •  
Roberto
I can’t stand the comments that I don’t “own the path” as actually, Do I not have more right to it than the dogs as I pay tax which contributes to the upkeep of it whereas dogs don’t pay tax? (If being petty about it)
Oct 2018
12:55pm, 30 Oct 2018
3,218 posts
  •  
jdarun
Shout at it, chase it, attack it. Is my suggestion when faced with a loose aggressive dog. I've had one or two on regular routes that learnt not to bother me.

Never been bitten and not bothered by friendly or well-behaved ones.
Oct 2018
12:59pm, 30 Oct 2018
446 posts
  •  
Claypole
LOL, like it JDArun

Must admit I wasn't brave enough to do that last night :-)
Oct 2018
1:11pm, 30 Oct 2018
29,472 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Roberto, that's a strange thing to say. The dog is owned by an owner. And the owner pays the same tax as you. So you both have a right to use the path, neither to the exclusion of the other. That's all I meant, and that runners and cyclists should make allowances for dog walkers, in the same way that dog walkers should take additional efforts with their dogs when other path users are around.

Lol JDA. Not sure if you are serious, but try doing that with a decent sized German shepherd or Rottweiler and I know where my money would be! Hope you don't come to harm with that approach! :-) G
Oct 2018
1:18pm, 30 Oct 2018
557 posts
  •  
Roberto
I know Happy, it’s just when I’m being petty if they are blaming me and making comments. It irritates me because I always move off the path for any other pedestrians/cyclists and dogs who are on the lead and people don’t say thanks, or acknowledge the fact I’m in the mud.
Oct 2018
1:26pm, 30 Oct 2018
6,548 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Had dogs jump at me when running, including one of 8 (eight) dogs being walked by a professional dog walker. Her branded van was nearby so I reported her to the council as I don’t feel it’s possible to be in control of that many dogs safely at one time.

Another time when an Alsatian size dog ran at me aggressively, I stopped running and stepped aggressively towards it shouting “get back” as firmly as I could. It did the trick. The dog walker gave me a load of grief but I told him if his dog hadn’t run towards me I’d have no reason to do the same back towards the dog.

Ultimately it has made me wary around dogs when running, despite growing up with dogs. We do have to share the same space with dog walkers so I try and give dogs, and especially livestock (having been charged by a bull) a wide berth.

My concern about dogs who jump at and bite runners is really who’s going to be next, someone in a pushchair, wheelchair, a child, any random person or indeed another dog? A dog not liking runners is no excuse for them being able to bite a runner or anyone else. Either modify dogs behaviour or take corrective action so they can’t bite eg muzzle
Oct 2018
1:34pm, 30 Oct 2018
105 posts
  •  
George Smiley
Anyone else remember Richard's Bicycle Book? :)
Oct 2018
1:40pm, 30 Oct 2018
447 posts
  •  
Claypole
Not familiar with that George Smiley - what was Richards Bicycle Book?
Oct 2018
1:43pm, 30 Oct 2018
8,512 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I've been barked at and chased many times over 30+ years of running, I've only been bitten once so hopefully it's a rare occurrence. What I do remember when I was bitten is that it's difficult to respond with aggression - when it happened I was so surprised I did not react that way. Maybe if you are a more naturally aggressive person or have some sort of training would that be an instinctive response. I don't know if aggression would help to deter the dog or maybe just make it worse ?What I do now is stop running, stand still and face the dog bring my arms across my chest, close my hands into fists and cover my bollocks so hopefully there is nothing for the dog to get in its mouth. And I reported the dog that bit me to the Police and it was put down, about which I was very sorry. In Scotland the law relating to dogs is different from E&W and is set out in the Control of Dogs ( Scotland) Act 2010. Owners can be required to muzzle aggressive dogs and keep them on a lead in public. But that of course is always after the event.
Oct 2018
1:53pm, 30 Oct 2018
106 posts
  •  
George Smiley
Claypole, it was a bike handbook from the 70s, it infamously had chapter on dealing with dog attacks, some of which were a bit extreme.

Sorry it was a rather flippant comment

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi Everyone

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with unwanted attention from dogs w...