DIY question

19 watchers
Oct 2020
10:50pm, 2 Oct 2020
11,773 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Oh and I have another Q.

Based on my experience detailed above, I've bought some No more nonsense Plaster filler (same company as no more nails) which you use a caulking gun to fill holes - I think easier to fill deeper holes like screw holes.

I am assuming that once I've filled the hole with the stuff and allowed it to set and dry, then it's just like normal plaster and you can drill into it as you would normally with plaster/wall?
EdJ
Oct 2020
11:03pm, 2 Oct 2020
453 posts
  •  
EdJ
If it were me I would go quite steady with the drill, and not use the hammer setting until I hit brick - and I'd want to use a longer screw so the rawlplug was completely in the brick.
Oct 2020
6:31pm, 3 Oct 2020
6,896 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I'd be trying to avoid using filled holes for future support. Move the board 2 inches left, or up or down, whatever.
Oct 2020
5:03pm, 5 Oct 2020
11,786 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Thanks - PTB - I'm not intending to put the shelves up on these particular holes - I've just got a few places where there are old screw holes and I may fill them. This stuff that I've bought is supposed to be 'the same' as the plaster around it apparently. So *in theory* safe to drill into.

But no plans to do so any time soon.

My next job has been forced upon me as the heavy rain on Sat has show that despite fixing the roof and the brickwork on my outhouse/shed, water is still getting in along the back wall somwhere and making the shed slightly damp (no where near as bad as it was, but still needs fixing).

So my fun job next weekend is to dig out the wall close to where the water is coming in and see if there's anything I can see. Unfortunately might have to down 50cm -1m. And the gap I've got to dig out isn't all that wide.

I'll see how tricky it is....

And then to find a solution...
Jan 2021
11:45am, 9 Jan 2021
12,580 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Any ideas on how/what I could do to put up a blind of some description on an external door that's set into a recess?

I'd like to put one up to (a) create some privacy (there's a window in the door) and (b) block any drafts and add a bit of insulation to keep the house warmer.

The clearance in the recess above the door isn't deep enough to allow for mounting of a blind within the recess.

The only other option I can think of is to mount it above the door (backwards - so that it drops along the edge of the recess rather than in front of it).

A door curtain is another option but not ideal for a kitchen and will cause a few issues.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Can put a pic up if that helps.
Jan 2021
12:39pm, 9 Jan 2021
4,100 posts
  •  
StuH
Not going to help insulation, but for privacy you could use something like amazon.co.uk
Jan 2021
12:43pm, 9 Jan 2021
12,585 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Definitely not putting that up!

The window is fine during the day - it's more at night when I've got the kitchen light on.

Probably going to go with something like this: blinds-2go.co.uk
Jan 2021
12:44pm, 9 Jan 2021
48,062 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Blinds2go are great fozzy - I've put two of theirs up
Jan 2021
3:09pm, 9 Jan 2021
47,824 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I am waiting for a blinds2go delivery. Used them just to replace vertical slats when I ruined the last ones in the machine. Just ordered a new kitchen roller blind
Jan 2021
3:32pm, 9 Jan 2021
203 posts
  •  
shyfire
Another vote for blinds2go - replaced all vertical blinds on a house with them a few years ago. Easy enough that I was able to measure right + put them up myself.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
Like most other people, we have a kitchen made of chipboard. One cupboard has its hinges at the top,...