DIY question

19 watchers
Jun 2016
3:10pm, 12 Jun 2016
4,236 posts
  •  
Winded
Lots of solutions that have you filling the hole and then making a new one end up being temporary. It depends on how much damage has been done to the chipboard. That's why a picture might help.

If you have too much damage for the repair to hold then drilling the holes in the "exact" spot isn't all that hard. Most of the hinges have a fair amount of adjustment.
Jun 2016
4:39pm, 12 Jun 2016
899 posts
  •  
jdarun
I'd have thought plastic wood to fill should work, at least if the screws have just pulled loose without taking a massive divot out of the chipboard.
Jun 2016
5:21pm, 12 Jun 2016
13,306 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I've ordered the plates now and should be able to pick them up on Wednesday.
Jun 2016
10:36pm, 19 Jun 2016
2,921 posts
  •  
Molesy
Have you done the deed? How did it go?
Jun 2016
11:03pm, 19 Jun 2016
13,341 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
No, tomorrow probably.
Dec 2016
10:22am, 8 Dec 2016
14,183 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Well it was actually more recently than June, but it has worked, with four hands holding everything in place while two hands managed the screws and screwdriver!

New question:

We have what I think are called Swedish radiators - they go all the way round the skirting board and are about 15" high and stick out about 3" from the wall.

A cupboard/set of shelves weighing 90 kg empty is destined to go into a corner that's already occupied by these radiators. The two possible solutions appear to be:

cut off enough of the bottom of the cupboard to fit round the radiator, and screw it so firmly to the wall that it doesn't really need the one remaining leg to stand on.
--- This seems like folly to me as it'll mean taking out a huge amount of the structure - more than 3/4 of the joints between the bottom shelf and the vertical sides.

build a platform that will support the cupboard. How do you set about knowing that what you build will be strong enough?

The third solution, to put the cupboard in front of the radiators and fill in the gaps between it and the wall would probably be dismissed on aesthetic or space-wasting grounds.
Dec 2016
5:14pm, 12 Dec 2016
5,886 posts
  •  
paul the builder
So it is already on 4 (?) legs, but those are obviously not suitable for 'straddling' the radiator?

90kg is really heavy for a bit of furniture. If that's correct (and then you're going to put extra weight on the shelves etc. after that), then 'hanging' it off the wall isn't feasible.

Again, assuming the weight is what you say - then I think you need a steel frame for it, with 4 legs that will now straddle the radiator. In terms of designing it and being sure that it's strong enough; it's probably easier to have a feel for it (or talk to someone who does) than to calculate. For instance - 1.5" box section is sturdy enough for this - a rectangle to match the base of the unit, 4 legs with feet, then diagonal braces tieing the legs to the horizontals.

Undecorated, in mild steel, I'd guess a fabrication shop would be looking for about £200-£300 for that, although I'm having to guess your dimensions. More for fancy/painted/coated/stainless steel/etc. A fabricator will be able to design it for you too, as long as you take key info (dimensions and weights) along.

I'm not sure if that's what you wanted to hear, or not....
Dec 2016
5:35pm, 12 Dec 2016
14,225 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Thank you. We have found a carpenter who thinks he can do it, i.e. build a sturdy platform. IIRC each of the seven shelves in this thing is designed to carry 48 kg, making not far off half a tonne!
Dec 2016
5:46pm, 12 Dec 2016
12,737 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I'm curious about your ginormo-cupboard. When it's fully laden, about a small car? Is there a picture?
Dec 2016
5:49pm, 12 Dec 2016
14,226 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Not of it being full. It's an IKEA Liatorp.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
Like most other people, we have a kitchen made of chipboard. One cupboard has its hinges at the top,...