Window/Roof Advice

3 watchers
Feb 2015
9:47am, 24 Feb 2015
523 posts
  •  
PinchyII
Ok - so in the rain last night - about 4am after it had been raining for a good hour - the rain decided to start pissing through the top of the window. Its not actually the glass - it was coming through between the plastic edging on the window and the wall and was dripping good and proper. I looked on the other side of the window (i.e. the outside) and could see nothing untoward. There was no water rushing over the gutter or (that I could see) through the sofits?

Any idea if this is likely to be a problem with the window/sofits or roof? i.e who would I call - the double glazing company who did the windows about 12 years ago - or a roofer or a builder?
Feb 2015
9:57am, 24 Feb 2015
482 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
You probably just need to reseal the gap between the window frame & the wall with some silicone sealant from B&Q/Homebase etc

Worth a try before you call out the builder
Feb 2015
10:09am, 24 Feb 2015
7,439 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Might be the edging round top of window we had that happen in our old house needed repointing or something.
Feb 2015
10:24am, 24 Feb 2015
524 posts
  •  
PinchyII
Thanks for the replies - so far - Gogsy - I thought that - but will that not just move the problem somewhere else if there is a leak in the first place coming through the roof
Feb 2015
10:34am, 24 Feb 2015
483 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
With the strong winds yesterday, I was thinking it might not be coming via the roof but just soaking the windows & walls & exposing the gap

You could perhaps recreate the situation with a garden hose directed at the window frame.

You're right though ... it's tricky to locate the source of leaks at times.
Feb 2015
11:34am, 24 Feb 2015
199 posts
  •  
Running Fish
if it's a cavity wall there should be a lintel which sits above the window that spans the cavity. so if there were any water coming from above the lintel would deflect it out through the walls or around the window. it sounds like you're describing a leak from the top edge of the window itself. in which case it's more likely to be the sealant around the edge of the window. this type of leak usually only shows up with heavy rain combined with strong winds, ie. blowing the rain horizontally against the window.
you can potentially sort it yourself with a tube of appropriate silicon, but to get a proper seal you'll probably need to dig out what's there and start again rather than adding more on top.
Feb 2015
11:48am, 24 Feb 2015
7,441 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Running Fish said it so much better than me but thats what I meant too…..
Feb 2015
12:00pm, 24 Feb 2015
525 posts
  •  
PinchyII
Thanks RF and GG - called out the Double Glazing company who did the windows - so they are coming tomorrow to look and fix (hopefully)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by PinchyII
Ok - so in the rain last night - about 4am after it had been raining for a good hour - the rain deci...