DIY question

19 watchers
Sep 2020
2:22pm, 20 Sep 2020
19,736 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
B&Q traditionally employ older workers who know what they're selling, so if you're thinking of a real store, speaking to one of them would be one approach.
jda
Sep 2020
2:28pm, 20 Sep 2020
8,411 posts
  •  
jda
Support from the side walls sounds good to me. The weak point is far more likely to be the attachment to the wall than the bracket itself but there's no bending moment if the brackets are at opposite ends rather than behind the shelf, assuming I'm visualising things right.
Sep 2020
4:20pm, 20 Sep 2020
11,646 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Cheers both (Chris - the staff in my local B&Q aren't always the most knowledgeable!)

Having had a chat with my Dad, I think we've both decided to instead go for the alternative approach of putting a timber frame across the side and back walls (like a "U" shape) and then drop the shelf on top. Using a couple of small "L" shaped at front and back to hold the shelf to the timber.

This should take more weight than brackets (and distribute it better), be easier to fit level than brackets and shoud be cheaper to get some 2.5x5cm timber than for 4x heavy duty brackets per shelf.

Bit more prep work from me, but should be better. I hope!

Think for my shed, I'm going to go with the strips you hook the brackets into, as I need the shelving to be more flexible.
jda
Sep 2020
7:11am, 21 Sep 2020
8,415 posts
  •  
jda
I’ve actually done just this for an inset shelf. Strip of battening round all three sides and the shelf sits on top. Main limitation is shelf rigidity as it’s just a sheet of cheap chipboard which could sag in middle. It mostly serves as roof for a clothes-hanging rail but also has a few bags stored on it.
Sep 2020
3:19pm, 21 Sep 2020
6,890 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Sounds like the sensible approach fozzy. And 850mm is not excessive, so you should be able to avoid too much sag - choose heavier (thicker) section material for the shelf too.

Retrofit a stiffening rib, jda. Piece of steel angle or channel section ideal, but even something like inch square timber will make a big difference.
Sep 2020
8:19pm, 26 Sep 2020
11,721 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ok, so my next question!

I'm really struggling to drill some anchor holes through concrete paving slabs.

I'm using standard masonry drill bits that seem to go through about half the slab and then just stop being effective - I've drilled 2 holes (only one of which I've managed to get all the way through) and both have taken me a few mins to get half way and then about 45mins to do the 2nd half....

I'm not using the hammer-drill setting - should I be?

I'm fairly certain that my drill bit shouldn't be glowing red hot from trying to drill through.

It's also not doing my back much good trying to keep pressure on the drill.
Sep 2020
9:24pm, 26 Sep 2020
19,770 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Literally red-hot? Wow!

I'm sure that is that the hammer setting is for but wait for more knowledgeable advice
Sep 2020
9:57pm, 26 Sep 2020
11,725 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yeah, something isn't right because the hole my dad drilled went through pretty easily.

I'm wondering if my drill bits aren't good enough for paving slabs
Oct 2020
10:40pm, 2 Oct 2020
6,895 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Yes, hammer setting. Check the tip hasn't come off the end of the drill bit too. Can happen.
Oct 2020
10:47pm, 2 Oct 2020
11,772 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Cheers Paul - yeah I misheard what my Dad said to me about using the hammer setting - he'd told me *not* to use it for another job and I conflated the two.

Took me about an hour to drill one hole and another hour to drill 3/4 of another.

Did the other 7 or so in about 45mins with the hammer setting....

I won't discuss the mess I made trying to put up a whiteboard on the wall in my study....

(Oh, ok, I will. Think the wall is plasterboard on top of brick and I kind of made a much bigger hole than the 5mm one I was planning on drilling. Solved it by carefully drilling a little deeper and sticking a bigger rawlplug in - but still not the neatest job in the world as I've had to screw in at an angle on a couple of the holes as despite *very* careful measurements, I ended up slightly too close on the holes).

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
Like most other people, we have a kitchen made of chipboard. One cupboard has its hinges at the top,...