Dartmoor Classic Sportive

4 watchers
Apr 2012
6:33pm, 18 Apr 2012
44 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Started this thread so that the people on Knitting, Crochet and General Craftery - and others - have somewhere to discuss the Dartmoor Classic and their training rides for it. I am an experienced supporter of this race as 2leftpedals has cycled it for the past 3 years, and will be doing it again this year.
Apr 2012
7:00pm, 18 Apr 2012
6 posts
  •  
Alsoran
Making the transition from supporter to participant is HARD! Have just done a very windblown, cold and rainy 30 miles on the moor......65 miles seems a v long way ;o(!
Apr 2012
7:05pm, 18 Apr 2012
20,112 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Good training, Alsoran :)

This sounds like a great event. Dartmoor is a bit too far for me so I'm having to do what I can to rustle up a bit of hill-training around where I live.
Apr 2012
8:58pm, 18 Apr 2012
47 posts
  •  
Cyclops
2leftpedals and I live in West Yorkshire so he only gets out on dartmoor for the Classic, and this year took his bike down at Easter for the South Hammer round Kingsbridge and a dartmoor ride. Luckily Alsoran is my sister so we stay with her. Most of 2leftpedals training is done around Wakefield and York which doesn't compare! Hoping to get out to the Peaks and/or Dales soon....
Classic is a fab event!! Great fun to support at - good food, start village, bacon butties at the cafe at Princetown etc etc..
Apr 2012
9:49pm, 21 Apr 2012
7 posts
  •  
Alsoran
Am planning a straighforward out and back 28 miles on Monday, if I can get away in time. Think it will be another very wet and windy ride, oh well its all good training, and will be an advantage if the weather is bad on the big day..... I cycled up the hill from work in a higher gear than usual today, all part of my plan ;-)
Apr 2012
11:21am, 22 Apr 2012
54 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Beans on toast at Princetown?
Apr 2012
7:08pm, 23 Apr 2012
8 posts
  •  
Alsoran
Sadly, didn't get onto the moor today, the weather is horrible. Thought it would too miserable, :-(
Apr 2012
6:08pm, 27 Apr 2012
9 posts
  •  
Alsoran
Going to try again tomorrow, hope I don't drown ;o)
Apr 2012
10:08pm, 28 Apr 2012
10 posts
  •  
Alsoran
Well, I did 50 miles, very slowly. 2 punctures, terrible abdominal cramps and rising north-easterly winds as i cycled across the middle of the moor, in a NE direction. Was tough!
May 2012
1:42pm, 4 May 2012
11 posts
  •  
Alsoran
Just arranged to get my road bike "down geared", in the hope of being able to get up all the hills! A bit desperate, but if that's what it takes......

About This Thread

Maintained by Cyclops
Started this thread so that the people on Knitting, Crochet and General Craftery - and others - have...