Dartmoor Classic Sportive

4 watchers
May 2012
1:47pm, 4 May 2012
9,261 posts
  •  
paul a
Is there anyway to hide bike ponce threads?
May 2012
4:39pm, 4 May 2012
12 posts
  •  
Alsoran
you could try not reading them, paul a
May 2012
12:09am, 7 May 2012
59 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Paul A - time of the month ?
May 2012
8:09am, 7 May 2012
1,190 posts
  •  
ultracollie
am new to this sportive stuff as only just got a bike :-) will look at this race for next year though. am hoping to do the BlackRat Braunton sportive as my first one, hows the training going Alsoran? where you based?
May 2012
10:07pm, 7 May 2012
60 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Hi ultracollie! Alsoran can't get her computer to work so I've been deputised to reply!! My OH is a sportive veteran - he hasn't done Braunton as we are Yorkshire based. We have an annual trip to Alsoran in the south west so he can cycle the Classic. Alsoran has got tired of spectating and is planning to ride it too this year. Training is being hampered by weird shift patterns at work.
May 2012
10:33pm, 7 May 2012
8,014 posts
  •  
runner duck
oooh i'm a knitting thread person who is doing the dartmoor classic :)

been trying to train round here (wiltshire) but we just don't have the hills. and i'm in granny squared gears on our much easier hills so i don't know what i will be able to do. maybe i should look into smaller gears, as well. i'm not sure what i've got anyway - i'm not very techy about bikes (or much else for that matter!)

we will be staying in kingswear for 2 weeks at the start of june so will take the bikes over to dartmouth for a bit practise. i fear it will be too little too late, but it's better than nothing.
May 2012
5:10pm, 8 May 2012
13 posts
  •  
alsoran
Hi runner duck, I've seen your posts on "knitting, crochet....etc". Despite unkind comments above, I'm a newbie sportive entrant, and I've only been cycling 4 years. I don't know anything about bikes, but the guys in my local bike shop were very keen when I explained that I felt I needed lower gears, and they reckon they can help.
Have just got back from a long ride on the moor - I'm within an easy driving distance -, and got around OK at my usual slow pace. There is only one hill that seems totally impossible!
Are you doing the 100 mile or the 100k? Maybe we'll see one another on the day. Anyway good luck with your training, don't worry too much about the hills, most of them are not so bad (but there a lot of them!).
May 2012
5:11pm, 8 May 2012
14 posts
  •  
alsoran
And Hi ultracollie!
May 2012
5:39pm, 8 May 2012
8,039 posts
  •  
runner duck
don't worry, ar, unkind comments on fetch are far outweighed by the kind ones :)

i'm doing the 100k - i wouldn't get round the 100miles in time! i already accept i won't be getting a medal on the 100k :)

i'm taking my bike in for adjustment in the next week so i'll have a chat with the chap about gears. i'm not really a cyclist. i did a charity oxford to birmingham bike ride 10 years ago and have done bits and pieces since then but this is the first concerted effort for a very long while. i prefer running really but a) think it's good cross-training and b) my oh likes it and as he runs with me...
May 2012
6:24pm, 8 May 2012
15 posts
  •  
alsoran
Good luck with the bike tune-up. If I have any success with my new gears I will post it on here so others can try a similar adjustment

About This Thread

Maintained by Cyclops
Started this thread so that the people on Knitting, Crochet and General Craftery - and others - have...