BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Cycling for Noobs

67 watchers
14 Apr
8:57am, 14 Apr 2021
11636 posts
Mandymoo
Have an edge for cycle but ha 3 also since got a Garmin multi sport watch which does all (just used for a pool swim, even does the SUP). Not sure I will use my edge much more as I have never worked out how to use the maps 🤭
14 Apr
8:57am, 14 Apr 2021
11816 posts
chunkywizard
you can turn off auto-pause on an Edge.

Interesting about getting the mobile version of an OS map when you buy the print version. I've used the app and it's great. I tend to subscribe to it when I'm on holiday for a month and then let the subscription go after the holiday. I'll consider buying the print map now!
14 Apr
9:27am, 14 Apr 2021
16497 posts
Autumnleaves
The idea was to use it for cycling as well - but hopefully Mr AL could download the ultra route maps as belt and braces for the event in October - he'd rather save his phone for emergency use. He did lots of reccie runs for the Chester one which he was glad of, but that's not feasible for the Glasgow to Edinburgh one.
14 Apr
11:05am, 14 Apr 2021
2108 posts
MudMeanderer
I can't imagine there'd be much issue with using an Edge for walking. They're more optimised for cycling activities, but that doesn't mean they won't work on foot - I had mine for the 3PCX, and that's as much walking (or trudging!) as cycling.

The only issue would be the one that's present on all such GPS devices if you're wanting to be able to plot & navigate complex routes on the fly - you can't simultaneously get sufficient breadth of context and resolution on a small screen. That's pretty much the case for anything smaller than an actual OS map.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
If there’s a thread for this already, I haven’t seen it :-) But I thought it’d be good to have...