Dartmoor Classic Sportive

4 watchers
Jun 2012
1:55pm, 12 Jun 2012
8,244 posts
  •  
runner duck
glad it's not just me that's undertrained, then!

had fun today. got the ferry out to dartmouth. took the main road out up the looooooooong hill. followed A road for a while. turned off onto lanes down a huge descent to find the road blocked by a car accident in which a van had gone up onto the steep bank verge then tipped onto the oncoming car. everyone unhurt, fortunately, but absolutely no way passed, even lifting the bikes over. we even tried the field to one side but were beaten by enthusiastic use of barbed wire. so we had to head back up the hill! all good training, tho :)

v'rap, i thought of you when i saw the skeleton cycling jerseys :)
Jun 2012
6:41pm, 16 Jun 2012
19 posts
  •  
alsoran
Still not done any more training, and only 1 week left. Heard a rumour that next weekend's weather may be as bad as this! :-(. I really hope this is wrong....
Jun 2012
1:47pm, 17 Jun 2012
8,246 posts
  •  
runner duck
the long range forecast we looked at looked ok. so fingers crossed!

just been for our last ride - it was lovely today :)
Jun 2012
2:41pm, 17 Jun 2012
20 posts
  •  
alsoran
Well done, runner duck, I'm supposed to be out cycling, but I'm not, I am on my sofa.... :-(
Jun 2012
5:07pm, 17 Jun 2012
128 posts
  •  
Cyclops
2leftpedals has gone out on his bike after delivering me home after my run...
Jun 2012
10:31pm, 20 Jun 2012
21 posts
  •  
alsoran
Was out on the moor for a last session before Sunday. Weather showery and increasingly windy during the day. The roads were in reasonable condition, most of the surface dressing seems to have washed off near Heatree. ( I din't go up to Hexworthy, where it was so bad a few weeks ago), and there were workmen doing a good job of repairing pot holes near M'h'stead. Also saw a large tree branch half across the road close to the Miniature Pony Centre, would only be a problem to anyone going v fast with their head down, not me then.
Good luck, everyone!
Jun 2012
10:37pm, 20 Jun 2012
8,279 posts
  •  
runner duck
what is this fast you speak of?! ;)
Jun 2012
9:52pm, 22 Jun 2012
22 posts
  •  
alsoran
Have heard other riders boast of their speed going downhill etc, me, I have my brakes on... A lovely sunny day in Exeter today, but very windy. At least it was half right.
Have bought my secret rocket fuel for Sunday (pork pies and Gatorade!). Ready to go!
Jun 2012
10:27pm, 22 Jun 2012
8,288 posts
  •  
runner duck
pork pies and gatorade - now there's a combination! :)

i hate downhills and my thumb tendons are still sore from all the downhill braking on our devonian training rides! i have learned to go down on to the drops now, tho, which makes braking for long periods more comfortable.

we're heading off to devon in the morning. we're staying with sis in law in torbay but we'll be stopping off to register on the way.

good luck everyone. and say hello if you see me in my rosie the riveter 'we can do it' jersey :)
Jun 2012
4:07pm, 23 Jun 2012
23 posts
  •  
alsoran
Just back from registering at the event village. Weather quite bright, lets hope it lasts. See you all tomorrow!

About This Thread

Maintained by Cyclops
Started this thread so that the people on Knitting, Crochet and General Craftery - and others - have...