Bike maintenance for dummies.

101 watchers
rhb
6 Sep
11:48am, 6 Sep 2022
2,000 posts
  •  
rhb
jacdaw p.s. also check limit screw adjustment has the mech in the right position over inner ring with no tension on cable, if it is further 'in' then it'd need more pull to love out far enough. Also if you've removed it that it was refitted at the correct height above the outer chain ring when in that position and that it is aligned correctly.
rhb
6 Sep
11:49am, 6 Sep 2022
2,001 posts
  •  
rhb
love = move 🤦‍♂️
6 Sep
11:58am, 6 Sep 2022
18,862 posts
  •  
larkim
Front mechs are second only to cable actuated disc brakes in terms of things that are a real faff to get right. It can be done in both cases, but very slight misalignments and / or undetectable levels of additional friction can compromise both. For front mechs in particular you've got the alignment up / down the seat tube as well as rotating around the tube to worry about even before the cable tension is set right and the limit screws done properly.

In summary, I've now got hydraulic discs and 1x front rings to save me the hassle where I can.

After getting everything clean and well lubed as suggested, I'd always head over to the parktools website which has fabulous instructive videos on how to sort these things methodically and sensibly.
6 Sep
12:31pm, 6 Sep 2022
9,120 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
What Larks said, I have a longstanding love/hate affair with front mechs. The "new" Ultegra r8000 front mechs drive me f***ing crazy .... apparently they're easy to set up. Could've fooled me!!
6 Sep
2:07pm, 6 Sep 2022
3,763 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Thanks all.

Considering saving up for a Rohloff!
14 Sep
12:39pm, 14 Sep 2022
28,158 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
A nudge here for cycling fans...

In case you folks haven't seen, now's an ideal time to sign up for the new UTMOST Bike League:

fetcheveryone.com/utmost-bike.php

I'll be doing a daily re-order of the table until the end of next week - so if you're a speed-merchant, you won't have to work your way through weeks of promotions.

NB anything classed as a virtual ride, or assisted, or at home on a machine - are all excluded from the tables (at least, as best I can).
14 Sep
4:33pm, 14 Sep 2022
1,513 posts
  •  
AndyS
I like the new UTMOST (partly because I'm at the top of my division :D) - which, of course, leads me to ask if there will be badges for promotion like there are for the running UTMOST :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? jimlangley.net