Book Group

130 watchers
Oct 2018
10:03pm, 30 Oct 2018
16,582 posts
  •  
Columba
Just read a review of Milkman, and indeed it doesn't sound like an entirely easy read. I have requested it from the library, similarly There but for the.
Oct 2018
10:30am, 31 Oct 2018
36,270 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Due to the embedding thing Fetch has just released, I've deleted the TBFT poll - it was getting all kinds of 'experimental' votes more to do with testing Fetch's new function than from people having read the book
Oct 2018
6:30pm, 31 Oct 2018
16,587 posts
  •  
Columba
Kristin Lavransdatter arrived at, and collected from, the bookshop. 924 pages, not including the notes section at the end.
Nov 2018
9:29am, 1 Nov 2018
36,301 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Calling all Shirley Jackson fans!

I've not read We Have Always Lived In Castleford, nor The Haunting of Hill House Hammond and so I was unfamiliar with her work but I know those are two well-loved books. Are they worth reading? If so, why? Is it more the memory that they were good but you haven't returned to them in years? Would they seem a bit 'hokey' now?

The reason I ask is I am just finishing The Sundial which came out in 1958, the year before Hill House and it is *terrible*. It's not terrible in a Dan Brown way. It's more like someone had described a novel to a committee and then the committee had a go at writing one without consulting each other or anyone else. Uneven in tone doesn't cover it. It's a bit batty - there are a few characters straight out of Memento Mori, a bit absurdist, a bit horror, a bit sci-fi, a bit costume drama. It's all rather placeless as well - supposed to be the USA but it's like she wanted it to be Agatha Christie meets Jane Austen by way of Daphne du Maurier.

I suspect it's supposed to be satirical but that the things satirised don't exist outside 1958 and now they just look like non-sequiters.

Basic plot summary: stately home, where there has recently been a death. One of the characters has a vision of an impending apocalypse which all of the rest of the characters believe pretty much without question. They sort of carry on their lives in a belief the house will be spared, and them with it. The characters have names like Essex and Fancy. Someone turns up and he gets called The Captain for no good reason, though someone says, 'We shall call you Captain Scaramanganatha' or some such drivel. On the plus side, I appreciate both Wise Children and Memento Mori a bit more now. They might both be a little mad but at least they have a consistent style.
Nov 2018
9:41am, 1 Nov 2018
31,452 posts
  •  
Diogenes
WHALITC is well worth reading, I’m pretty sure you’d enjoy it more than Wise Children and at least as much as Momento Mori.
Nov 2018
9:53am, 1 Nov 2018
36,307 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Both WHALITC and THOHH are on my shelves...

It's the unrealistic dialogue that kills The Sundial. It's a little bit 'Oh, don't be so terrible beastly Clive' and a little bit 'Haha,' she trilled, 'Then I shall throw a most splendid party but I shall not invite any of you. I simply shan't' That sort of thing.
Nov 2018
10:25am, 1 Nov 2018
2,059 posts
  •  
DazTheSlug
I was a bit underwhelmed by THOHH - good, but didn't knock my socks off
WHALITC has a very quirky style/atmosphere and was right up my alley
Nov 2018
10:27am, 1 Nov 2018
36,311 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Well, 'quirky' isn't always a good thing. The Sundial is quirky in a 'Timmy Mallett trying to write Pride and Prejudice' sort of way.
Nov 2018
10:30am, 1 Nov 2018
108,401 posts
  •  
GregP
C-MODE was 'quirky' and I hated it.
Nov 2018
12:17pm, 1 Nov 2018
31,454 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Funny, irreverent, anarchic. Not quirky, Pam Ayres is quirky.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
The Fetch Everyone Book Group

April 2024 book

Welcome to Season Seven

April 2024 (Maclennane)
Independence Day (Richard Ford)
Amazon: amazon.co.uk
Hive: hive.co.uk
Bookshop.org: uk.bookshop.org
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/independence-day-by-richard-ford---april-2024-book-group-choice-63006
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11269

March 2024 (Chrisull)
The High House (Jessie Greengrass)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-high-house-by-jessie-greengrass---march-2024-fetch-book-group-discussion-thread-62965
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11192

February 2024 (Linds)
Severance (Ling Ma)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/severance-by-ling-ma---feb-2024-book-group-discussion-thread-62917
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11165

January 2024 (Night-owl)
The Rabbit Factor (Antti Tuomainen (Author), David Hackston (Translator))
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-rabbit-factor---jan-2024-book-group-discussion-62892
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11119

December 2023 (Serendippers)
The Indisputable Existence of Santa Claus (Hannah Fry and Thomas Oleron Evans)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-indisputable-existence-of-santa-claus---december-2023-book-group-discussion-thread-62852
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11004

November 2023 (Columba)
Watling Street (John Higgs)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/watling-street---nov-2023-book-group-dicussion-thread-62830
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10925

October 2023 (Little Nemo)
Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Toshikazu Kawaguchi trans. Geoffrey Trousselot)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/before-the-coffee-gets-cold---book-group---oct-2023-discussion-thread-62811
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10860

The last two months of Season Six:

September 2023 (westmoors)
Rabbit, Run (John Updike)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/rabbit-run-by-john-updike---book-group-sept-2023-discussion-thread-62786
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10848

August 2023 (Serendipps)
Queenie (Candice Carty-Williams)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/queenie-by-candice-carty-williams---august-2023-book-group-discussion-thread-62766
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10808

Currently Choosinating

Not yet chozzed:
Grepples
Hanneke
Fetch
The Scribbler
Bint
Dio
Quimby
McGoohan
Westmoors

Already chozzed:
Little Nemo
Columba
Serendippers
Night-owl
Linds
Chrisull
Maclennane

Earlier book choices and discussion threads
All previous runners and riders can be found on this thread here: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=58751

===

Fetch's Positronic My Book Listing Device!: fetcheveryone.com/mybooks.php

===

Discussion thread for all those unofficial but almost official books we discuss on the thread:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=59469

===

The Book Group motto: If you never take a chance with your reading you'll never read anything new or great

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,306 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here