Summerwater - Nov 2022 Book Group discussion thread

9 watchers
Dec 2022
6:41pm, 19 Dec 2022
6,932 posts
  •  
westmoors
Just read McG's review and it made me chuckle, Particularly his last sentence.
Dec 2022
1:36pm, 30 Dec 2022
27,476 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I don’t think is an official entrant from the Scottish tourist board. Horrible weather; horrible people; nasty furnishings. Various hints on various threads and blogs suggests this was hated. I enjoyed a lot of the claustrophobic writing and some of the stories were tender.
Others just generally felt they were grinding out a “it’s bleak and damp here” point.

I laughed at the woman trying to make the best of her hour but didn’t really relate, we were champion nappers when teen was tiny, and there was always washing on and washing to do, I’m not sure I’d have seen a tap.
First story alienated me and reminded me of Ishiguro - he describes running into a pattern like that. I’m always worrying when I run: falling, form and playing out conversations in my head.
But I actually kind of liked how none of the characters were particularly sympathetic, just one innocent and one evil child
Dec 2022
1:42pm, 30 Dec 2022
27,477 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Oh I’d forgotten about the connecting bits. I liked the fawn and pretty much read over the rest. I gave it a thoughtful but bleak 8. Stream of consciousness doesn’t bother me so I mostly enjoyed the writing but a lot of the characters did merge
Dec 2022
2:58pm, 31 Dec 2022
22,074 posts
  •  
Columba
I seem to be the only one who liked it. Possibly Hanneke will give it a whirl and maybe also appreciate it.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Ross Pond Reviewed in Australia on 30 October 2020

5.0 out of 5 stars

The Cost Per Month. I only wish to buy. No TV

Book to read.

Excellent Service Very Pleased with Service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-HXfMvU85g

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.