World Chess Championship

20 watchers
Dec 2021
3:39pm, 28 Dec 2021
2,983 posts
  •  
Oranj
Carlsen v Nepomniachtchi now.

Carlsen just lost his previous round and I was out on my bike, bah.
Dec 2021
11:41am, 29 Dec 2021
1,337 posts
  •  
Big_G
I have Googled but I am possibly looking in the wrong places! Can someone briefly describe what happened yesterday, and why Nepo and Fabi agreed to a draw after only 6 moves? I know there was some controversy over the tie break rules that helped decide the tournament, but presumably this early draw impacted Fabi's chances overall? I was watching agadmator's YouTube channel yesterday where he touched on it but he did not go into details, hence my question.
Dec 2021
11:46am, 29 Dec 2021
1,338 posts
  •  
Big_G
Following on from the above, I saw a Reddit thread that probably explains it. Seems Fabi may not have know about the tie break rules?
reddit.com
Dec 2021
11:48am, 29 Dec 2021
4,071 posts
  •  
Goofee
Caruana said afterwards that he didn't want to face months of prep in a quick format. I guess he thought Nepo's classical prep work for the world champs had given him an advantage in the position they'd reached.
Dec 2021
12:55pm, 29 Dec 2021
2,985 posts
  •  
Oranj
Yeah, that was surprising (and Carlsen playing a relatively neutral line in his final game against Nakamura, as well as checking the game of Abdusattorov to see if that was going to lead to a 4-way tie; great image here: images.chesscomfiles.com ). Neither of them seemed to realise what the tie-break rule implied; is Caruana's reply a bit after-the-fact?

It was a bit like the troubled final race of Formula 1, only this time the officials stuck to the previously published rules!
jda
Dec 2021
1:03pm, 29 Dec 2021
11,578 posts
  •  
jda
Yes it seemed very odd to me. The behaviour makes much more sense if they had assumed all equal players would go to a tie break.
Dec 2021
1:13pm, 29 Dec 2021
1,339 posts
  •  
Big_G
I saw some comment that Carlsen (and others) weren't too happy the tournament was decided like it was, but someone from FIDE (David Llada) apparently pointed out that no one objected prior to the tournament. There is a quote from him at the bottom of this article.
chess24.com
jda
Dec 2021
1:46pm, 29 Dec 2021
11,579 posts
  •  
jda
Sure there can be no real complaint after the event but it’s one thing to know the rules in theory and another to find out how they apply to your specific circumstances in the heat of battle. A 4-way tie heading into the final game probably wasn’t a scenario they had seen themselves in.

No complaint about a worthy winner who had already beaten Carlesen in the tournament and then won the tie break against Nepo.
Dec 2021
3:50pm, 29 Dec 2021
1,340 posts
  •  
Big_G
Definitely a worthy winner! Interesting he missed mate in two (twice) though, against Nepo. Pressure, lack of time etc, but he still won.
jda
Dec 2021
3:58pm, 29 Dec 2021
11,582 posts
  •  
jda
The 3 minute hit and giggle is on now and it's amazing playing though the last Carlsen game as the evaluation basically swapped every move as the players continually failed to find the strongest (or even in many cases, even a reasonably strong) move. -0.2 to -2 to 1.4 to -3.5 to 0.9 in 4 consecutive blunders!

About This Thread

Maintained by TROSaracen
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2018/nov/15/magnus-carlsen-v-fabiano-caruana-world-chess-cham...