Treadmills

11 watchers
Apr 2020
8:12pm, 6 Apr 2020
3,556 posts
  •  
Mr. K.
CW - I`ve just bought a Sprint 5 - I already have a Garmin Foot pod - is that ok to use with Zwift or do I need something else like a treadmill sensor.

Thanks

Also I guess the running on Zwift is not like the cycling where you can feel & adjust for the hills.
Apr 2020
8:39pm, 6 Apr 2020
7,376 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Is your footpod Bluetooth? What watch do you have? You need a Bluetooth source for Zwift which could be your watch if it has the right mode or a footpod. If you don’t have any of those then you would need something like a RUNN.

I haven’t played about with Zwift but I don’t think it can control a Sprint 5 for inclines.
Jun 2022
10:44pm, 30 Jun 2022
6,138 posts
  •  
KimCanRun
I was looking to maybe buy a treadmill. Anyone got this one?! 😂

Jul 2022
7:20am, 1 Jul 2022
14,399 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Wow, that's high end! I think mine was around £800.
Jul 2022
2:04pm, 3 Jul 2022
1,568 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I’m a little interested in a treadmill.
I have the space for it, and maybe in the coldest and darkest months, it will do more good for the training than just going out in the snow and rain and darkness. Also the key workouts is not that easy in the winter.

But… I wonder if I would like it. And if it just will become an expensive coat rack.

Also I’m wondering if it’s strange to let the “ground” decide the speed and not vice versa.

On a hard effort it must be a lot fiddling with speed forward and back if you go all out.
Jul 2022
4:06pm, 3 Jul 2022
14,441 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Before you buy out try one out a few times at a gym. You don’t tend to fiddle with the speed when going all out because you should know your speed for the distance you are running at ie if I was going for a seasons best at 5K (19:52) I’d start at 3:57/km and try and run 4Km at a flat pace. If I’m still feeling good you can always nudge the pace up in the last Km.
Jul 2022
4:41pm, 3 Jul 2022
1,569 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Yes ok chunky, I actually were away just now and looked at used commercial treadmills, I found a local business that repurposed them.
There where a few that would be nice.
But, as you say, I will try out the one at my work, have done a few slow miles when I was “injured” a while ago.
But that’s about it.
But I will try real running a few times before I jump the gun.
Thanks!
Jul 2022
7:58pm, 3 Jul 2022
14,443 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
They are also good for intervals as they force you to the required pace but you have to remember the stages of the session and be able to push the bottoms to get the speed adjusted at the right time. I guess you can find treadmills you can program in sessions to, but zo don’t have one!
Jul 2022
8:05pm, 3 Jul 2022
1,571 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Yes, mostly I started to get interested just for the intervals and so on. It’s hard in the winter and cold.
jda
14 Feb
11:58am, 14 Feb 2024
16,485 posts
  •  
jda
Disappointed to find my new treadmill run deck is cracked after a year of moderate use. I'd previously thought that the 2nd hand ones must have been significantly worn by previous users, but it seems that I'm the problem!

This is the underside of the run deck. Unloaded, the sag in the middle on the top surface is only a few mm but it's noticeably uneven in use.

Not sure what to do here. I'm far from a heavy user, maybe 1-2 runs per week on average through the winter, less in summer. My 80kg weight is probably a bit more than usual for a long-distance runner but well within spec. Surely a decent treadmill should last more than a year or so of this?

About This Thread

Maintained by plodding hippo
So. Looks like I may be stuck in shitty hospital accommodation for the foreseeable.

Can anyone ...