The sub 2.45 marathon thread

2 lurkers | 220 watchers
Jan 2020
7:38pm, 16 Jan 2020
8,309 posts
  •  
Boab
That's a good session Larkim, he is running well. My advice would be to get those long steady to easy miles in. It's fantastic running hard for 20 miles, but that is only the first half, building that endurance will see him through the final 10k. What is he planning for long runs? My advice would be to get close to distance on a couple of long runs. Not sure how that fits with JD protocol, but will help on the day. Look forward to hearing how he get's on.
Jan 2020
9:45pm, 16 Jan 2020
10,065 posts
  •  
larkim
He's following JD 56-70 by the book, so the Q sessions will be what they will be! Do you think it's worth deviating from JD to get those 22-24m easy runs in, especially when JD doesn't recommend it.
Jan 2020
4:57pm, 19 Jan 2020
10,334 posts
  •  
controversial
Larkim, I would say, be careful he doesn't peak too soon. Don't know when is his race but that session is pretty tough!

As Boab says, and specially if he is not used to go up to 26 miles, I think he needs to do at least 2 or 3 runs going up to 23/24 miles.
Disclaimer: I am not a coach just a guy that has done plenty of marathons ... and mistakes!
Jan 2020
5:43pm, 19 Jan 2020
10,082 posts
  •  
larkim
Cheers controversial!! He's up at Uni at the moment, but claims he's finding these sessions comfortable rather than on the ragged edge, which I think is backed up by the consistent pacing. But the advice is nonetheless well received and 100% makes sense to me.
Jan 2020
7:08pm, 19 Jan 2020
923 posts
  •  
Roberto
Tentatively watching the thread. 11 weeks put from manchester and not really sure what I'm targeting right now.
Jan 2020
8:59pm, 19 Jan 2020
13,119 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
My advice. Never ever follow a schedule by the book. That's where problems come in. Schedules are always a guide. Got a niggle then don't run or reduced mileage.

I followed Hal Higdons plan by the book and for three years straight he crocked me. It wasn't the plan for me.
Jan 2020
9:55pm, 19 Jan 2020
10,084 posts
  •  
larkim
Sound advice Jock. Though one of the reasons JD appeals is that beyond the two Q sessions per week (which can be substituted for races without issue) it isn't quite as prescriptive as plans like P&D. With a Uni schedule to fit in, 2 sessions plus easy miles to accumulate volume seems as sensible as anything else.

Spoke to him tonight and he was saying he was finding it surprisingly easy, but passed on the advice on here. He's a sensible lad (mostly), his downfall is likely to be playing a game of Ultimate Frisbee or something similar.
Jan 2020
10:03am, 22 Jan 2020
4,763 posts
  •  
RunningBob
Morning all!
jda
Jan 2020
11:15am, 22 Jan 2020
6,180 posts
  •  
jda
So....I'm starting to dream a little....seem to be going a shade better than this time last year, and I "only" need to find a couple of minutes or so. But on the other hand, I'm not getting any younger and 2 minutes is actually a heck of a lot to find out of nowhere, last year I improved by 90 secs and that was probably due to the magic shoes! Anyone coming to Manchester to pace me?

Agree 100% with Jock regarding plans. I try to stick to mine as much as possible, but life and niggles do demand a bit of flexibility (I'm also doing a very flexible version of JD plan).
Jan 2020
12:36pm, 22 Jan 2020
928 posts
  •  
Roberto
Jda, I may well be on the start line thinking of the same sort of pace. Also in the magic shoes.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gobi