•  
Night-owl
That's fantastic AL Well done :)
Feb 2015
4:25pm, 10 Feb 2015
3,892 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Nice one and yeah I just realised id not popped in since I got my first sub 50 last year !!
Feb 2015
6:56pm, 10 Feb 2015
9,759 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Very well done AL :-)

I haven't done a 10K in ages. If I keep my training going as it has though, might be a hope of sub-50 sometime this year.
Feb 2015
1:00pm, 17 Feb 2015
3,373 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Great stuff AL :-)
Jul 2015
8:44am, 28 Jul 2015
254 posts
  •  
GeneHunt59
Quiet in here - everybody already sub 50 or something? :) I'm hoping to break the 50 minute barrier some time this year. Managed 50:14 at the end of May, but was struck down by a virus 3 days later. Took a while to get back into running in June and my time over all distances was really affected badly - from over a minute a mile slower, gradually improving through July. I ran three 10K races since May - 53:41, 53:15 & 53:08. These times make the May time look a freak result, but I ran a parkrun on a flat course at the end of June and was 1 min 20+ seconds slower than my 5K Pb I set there only in May - and I was giving it my all. Running Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on Aug 8, which is meant to be a good course. I have no other 10K races pencilled in this year as yet. Wish me luck, and as usual, all advice gratefully received.
Jul 2015
9:26am, 28 Jul 2015
1,783 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
good luck, Gene! I'm not a great runner but the way I got down to sub-50 was by training for a marathon! Being able to easily run 20k meant that the 10k felt like a doddle and I could bomb the last 1-2k home.

I think the official advice is to practice lots of fartlek and interval training. Lots of short/fast/repeats.
Jul 2015
9:48am, 28 Jul 2015
255 posts
  •  
GeneHunt59
Thanks for the support & advice ITG. I'm settling back into a proper training regime now. Typical non-race week is Tue: Intervals, Thu: Steady Intermediate run (5-7 miles), Sat: Tempo run (parkrun), Sun: LSR (8-10 miles). I was thinking of increasing my sunday run distance, and possibly introducing fartleks into my Thursday run.
Jul 2015
9:59am, 28 Jul 2015
6,531 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hi Gene - what made the difference for me was longer tempo runs - part of training for a half marathon. I made sure one of my weekly runs was around 4-6 miles and ran the middle section at tempo pace. This wasn't 10k race pace - but finding that a pace that was around 30 seconds slower felt comparatively 'easy' was a big mental boost. I had also got my 5k time down to sub-24 the previous summer - so I 'knew' I ought to be able to do it. For me the mental battles have been at least as significant as the physical ones!
Jul 2015
10:04am, 28 Jul 2015
6,149 posts
  •  
lammo
Are you doing any easy runs in amongst all that Gene?

They all look like effort sessions, some on this site would be giving you a stern look right now...
Jul 2015
10:06am, 28 Jul 2015
10,582 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Just after my last post, I was struck down with a bug as well. So my progress had a setback. I got back a bit though and ran my second fastest ever 10k, though at 51:38, still a bit to go. And got my parkrun time down again, though never got to a flat course for that sub-25. And ran my fastest HM for four years.

I reckoned I was peaking and would go back a bit and so it has proved, but hopefully I am on the upswing again. Another HM in two weeks and I was hoping like ITG said that a 10K improvement would come off the back of that again. But just as I was aiming for a last long run, and some hills ... I have the cold. Gah!

Good luck Gene, bugs, peaks and troughs for you as well. I did some intervals around those race times as well, though I struggled to get my fast speed to what I could do at the end of a parkrun, or even a 10K.

About This Thread

Maintained by Night-owl
For sub 50 Wannabes and those who have been there done it and can offer advice