•  
Gobi
OJ - I redo my base period of multiple months EVERY YEAR
Sep 2011
10:45pm, 27 Sep 2011
18,474 posts
  •  
Nellers
OJ, I think even if you're not naturally speedy and suited to short stuff like 5ks it can do your longer running a lot of good to work on your spped for a while at some point, and vice versa. Keeps things interesting.

Gobi, rebuilding my base each spring is why I'm getting into the "routine" of doing a spring marathon each year. It gives me something big and significant to aim at while I get the miles in through the winter so I can top off the tower with some (but not too much) speedwork in the summer. That was also how we used to periodise our training when I was marathon canoeing. I assume it makes similar sense for similar reasons in running too?
Sep 2011
10:57pm, 27 Sep 2011
44,364 posts
  •  
Gobi
Indeed Nellers
Sep 2011
11:35pm, 27 Sep 2011
359 posts
  •  
Ian M
AB, a lot of people will continue to improve from "just running", especially if their mileage isn't particularly high. The problems start when they cannot differentiate between easy running and hard running. Lots of folk who only run 30 miles or so a week run all of those miles much too fast/hard and thus end up injured. The same people tend to get bored with trudging around at the same old "easy" (easy as they see it but it isn't easy) pace and start doing track work and the like. Then they get injured and wonder what on earth is happening to them. After all, they aren't even running that much each week are they?

I refer to what Gobi said about base work. It helps in many ways, not least in that it helps to get the body used to running, strengthening the muscles, tendons, ligaments etc as well as training and developing the cardiovascular system.

So, if you only run 20, 30 or so miles per week, why not just enjoy it? Run at an easy pace for you. I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor to find out what is an easy pace for you so you don't overdo things. When you have trained yourself to know when you are running easy enough for you, you will then be quite surprised at how much quicker you can run with the same apparent effort (heart rate) - after several months of sticking at it of course! What we all aim for is to condition our minds and bodies for endurance and aerobic efficiency. When you have developed a decent base then you could add a bit of speed work but it depends on your goals. At 30 miles or so a week though to be honest I would probably only do the odd fartlek session or tempo/threshold run - or perhaps a race.
Sep 2011
11:50pm, 27 Sep 2011
1,622 posts
  •  
Anna Bomb
Sound advice Ian and Gobi. There are plenty of people who run all sorts of different mileages for all sorts of different reasons and surely the aim of any hobby is to enjoy it. Once the enjoyment goes and it becomes a chore then your much more likely to train inconsistently or possibly even quit altogether.

Personally I'm trying to up the mileage again as used to run further but life has got in the way this year. I probably am guilty of running too quick at times although I am better at controlling the pace now than I used to. I do occasionally use a heart rate monitor but don't like being controlled by numbers and most of the runs I do aren't flat so find it very frustrating to try and keep a constant heart rate over that terrain. The only speedwork being done atm is park run when I get there.
OJ
Oct 2011
11:26am, 24 Oct 2011
65 posts
  •  
OJ
Just to update this thread since some people took time to give me some sound advice. I did manage to achieve a decent time (by my standards) at my half marathon on Sunday. So thank you :)

I did 1:53:03 at the Birmingham Half Marathon. Would have liked 1:52 but 2 miles uphill (ouch!) from 10-12 miles dragged my pace down at the end.

I am convinced that I could not have maintained anything like a decent pace, with legs hurting in those painful final three miles, had I not trained consistently with both easy and hard efforts. I definitely couldn't have kept the necessary focus mentally!
Oct 2011
11:34am, 24 Oct 2011
6,699 posts
  •  
runner duck
good news, oj, well done :)
Oct 2011
11:40am, 24 Oct 2011
1,877 posts
  •  
daviec
Well done OJ, that's good to hear :)
Oct 2011
1:40pm, 24 Oct 2011
18,806 posts
  •  
Nellers
Good work, OJ. That's a pretty solid performance there. Be proud and enjoy it!
Oct 2011
2:01pm, 24 Oct 2011
44,879 posts
  •  
Gobi
Nice one OJ

Anna - I dont use an HRM to run at a constant, I use it to govern the maximum level of my effort. This gives me some scope for hills.

About This Thread

Maintained by OJ
Can anyone chip in with any advice about a half marathon training problem.

I'm a bit worried tha...