Leg fatigue and half marathon training

13 watchers
Sep 2011
4:51pm, 27 Sep 2011
358 posts
  •  
Ian M
OJ, no worries, glad you got something useful from the posts here. I would agree with you too. Option b is the better one probably. Tempo runs are good but need to be supported with more volume in any programme - too many hard sessions is bad as you have rightly understood. You have limited time and thus would be served better by building a nice base - plenty of slower running and some good long distance or long time on feet runs.
Sep 2011
7:07pm, 27 Sep 2011
1,620 posts
  •  
Anna Bomb
Gobi/Ian M etc out of interest for us mere mortals running 30-35 mpw what proportion if any should be speed work or are we not running sufficient slow easy miles for it be a benefit?
Sep 2011
7:13pm, 27 Sep 2011
44,355 posts
  •  
Gobi
AB - loaded question for sure

There is a theory that below 50 miles a week just running will make you faster and that you should not add speedwork until you plateau.

For many though that idea gets boring and they desire/demand intervals.
Sep 2011
7:13pm, 27 Sep 2011
18,470 posts
  •  
Nellers
FWIW, Anna, I do about 30ish miles average per week made up of a long run (13-15 usually), 2 steady 4-5 milers, a tempo and or an intervals session. If I don't feel up to doing both the tempo and interval sessions one gets replaced with another shorter steady.
Sep 2011
7:16pm, 27 Sep 2011
18,471 posts
  •  
Nellers
I'm pretty sure I'd have continued to improve just from increasing the miles, Gobi, if I could have a) fitted more time on the run into my life and b) survived it without my ankles exploding. I actually did my 5k pb during marathon training this spring where I'd basically just been doing a lot of miles at easy pace with one session at marathon pace each week (about 8.30/mile so not terribly quick) so you do improve just from running more.

There is a point, though, I think, where if you can't run more then you do have to run different in order to keep improving. I'm not sure I'd reached that point but I felt like I needed to change things.

I'm also very glad that I did 18 months-2 years of just running before trying to add in "speedwork". I couldn't have coped with it earlier and wouldn't have benefited from it if I could.
Sep 2011
7:18pm, 27 Sep 2011
1,365 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Gobi - again not disagreeing with you, but can I ask the following:

1. Provided done sensibly (i.e. without overtraining and getting injured), surely introducing intervals sooner will lead to a more rapid improvement anyway.
2. When you reach the said plateau, are not intervals and other speed work the best way at improving speed and efficiency of running because it will improve your Vo2max
3. 50mpw seems an arbitrary value, what's the rational behind this figure? Would training time not be a better basis for this estimate?
Sep 2011
7:27pm, 27 Sep 2011
1,621 posts
  •  
Anna Bomb
I wondered where the magical 50mpw came from too fozzy. I am trying to get the mileage back up after one thing and another has stopped me all year and at the moment am enjoying the nice easy runs. Not keen on speed work as I'm about as injury prone as they come so if I can just keep increasing the mileage and get better in the process thats fine by me but wondered as my club does track work and was trying to decide whether it was worth getting back down there. On that note I'm off out for that easy run
Sep 2011
7:31pm, 27 Sep 2011
44,356 posts
  •  
Gobi
Fozzy

The 50 is not my number and it is very arbitary, I also never said it was my rule. I just said it is a theory that I have heard ported around.

The reality is if you have 3hrs a week to train then run easy for 3 hrs a week until you stop improving. At that point you start adding intervals. Most people are too impatient to follow this threw properly.

That said my rules are simpler than that. I believe in doing a 2/3 month period of Zone 1 and Zone 2 base work (easy running) with basically XC or a parkrun as the only speedwork and that is more to keep the runner interested than for development.

With a newer runner the long period of base actually teaches the joints/muscles/tendons how to deal with running and helps prevent injury.

The better the base the stronger the body.
The better aerobically trained you are the better the quality of the speed work is.

People who rush into speedwork usually rush into injury and get dismayed with a lack of progress.
Sep 2011
7:34pm, 27 Sep 2011
11,114 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
Quality advice, there, Gobi, post #44356 if there was a *like* button, it would get pressed for that post.
OJ
Sep 2011
10:39pm, 27 Sep 2011
64 posts
  •  
OJ
It should be pointed out that not all of us running a mere 30 miles a week are new to running and therefore "rushing into" anything. New challenges keep things interesting.

For me, the new challenge this year has been quality speedwork and racing a few 5Ks. I had always thought I wasn't built for speed, but actually, I am (within my modest ability).

About This Thread

Maintained by OJ
Can anyone chip in with any advice about a half marathon training problem.

I'm a bit worried tha...