half marathon training plan

4 watchers
Nov 2014
11:50am, 16 Nov 2014
1,139 posts
  •  
Canute
Your account of training and performance over the years is understandable. Your performances certainly indicate that sub 90 is a reasonable goal, but as you recognise, you need a longer term strategy. The type of program that Baz suggested would be quite sensible, though I personally believe that it is good to do at least a small amount of fairly fast running throughout the year, in addition to a substantial amount of slower running. There is good evidence from the experience of elites and from scientific studies that this type of polarised strategy works well. This can be periodized to some extent, with an increase in the amount of faster running in preparation for specific races.

Whatever you do, you need to ensure that the Achilles does not become a serious problem. Usually the thing that works best is regular slow stretching of the Achilles. Stand on the affected leg on a step with the heel hanging over the edge and slowly lower your whole body so that the Achilles is stretched slowly. Then use the other leg (aided by a hand on the banister or a wall for balance) to lift your body back to the starting position and repeat. Start with 3x10 times each day and increasing to 3x20 each day
Nov 2014
11:53am, 16 Nov 2014
7,594 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
canute ,that is exactly what I was saying, keep the intervals, keep the longer run but slow it down and add one or two other easier runs as well

The faster runs develop speed
The longer runs develop endurance
The slower runs just help recover and also aid the overall running ability
Nov 2014
12:00pm, 16 Nov 2014
1,140 posts
  •  
Canute
Baz, I think we are in complete agreement. Sorry, I had slightly misrepresented you
Nov 2014
4:58pm, 16 Nov 2014
7 posts
  •  
HOBIT
Thanks guys you have given me quite a bit to think about, I will try to build up to 4 runs per week and crop the intensity back a fair bit keeping one day for quicker paced runs and see how it goes. Perhaps I will mix in the more intense fast training in the build up to a race.

I am capable currently capable of a 7:30 min mile so how much slower do you think I should run on a long run and how far,

Also how slow far would you recommend for my two easy runs

And lastly is one long run a week enough

Sorry for all the questions, never really thought about my running in these terms.

Cheers for the help
Hob
Nov 2014
5:12pm, 16 Nov 2014
7,595 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
H. I did 18 miles today at 8:45mm pace. My hm pace is about 6:20mm. Somewhere 8:30 to 9 I would suggest.

Easy run distances four to six miles at same sort of pace.

One long and one medium long run better but one step at a time esp if managing injury.
Nov 2014
6:37pm, 16 Nov 2014
1,141 posts
  •  
Canute
HOBIT
I agree one long run a week is enough. At present I myself am experimenting with 4 long easy runs of 120+min per week, in an attempt to emulate the type of program developed by Ed Whitlock. He set more than 20 age-group world records at distances from 1500m to marathon, but there is not any guarantee that such an approach would work for anyone other than Ed – he is clearly phenomenal. I will not be drawing any conclusions until I have tried it for another month or two.

I think that the weekly long run should be built up in a manner that ensures that you do not leave lingering tiredness that limits the quality of your faster session later in the week.
Nov 2014
12:37am, 17 Nov 2014
8 posts
  •  
HOBIT
That helps a lot guys, thanks, I really mean it. Your quick informative responses are hugely appreciated.

I will report back after a month's worth of running to see if I am on the right track

Cheers
Hob

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HOBIT
Hi all, I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some well known training plans/metho...