Half Marathon training between event

4 watchers
Mar 2012
4:07pm, 27 Mar 2012
70 posts
  •  
Ediam2009
Hey guys

I am running a half marathon in Sunday April 1st, my next half marathon is 12 weeks later. I am not sure to do regarding a schedule. Do I do a 12 week schedule which generally starts you off at low milage again or is there a (mid season) type plan that picks up where I have finished my current plan at 30 miles per week???

Neil
Mar 2012
4:10pm, 27 Mar 2012
20,958 posts
  •  
Old Croc
a few days rest then a few easy days and back to a maintenance level of mileage for a few weeks before building up a bit to your "race" level
Mar 2012
4:15pm, 27 Mar 2012
20,959 posts
  •  
Old Croc
a 12 week gap should allow you to recover and build a little more endurance as well as a bit of speed work.
Apr 2012
10:15pm, 9 Apr 2012
3 posts
  •  
lopezthejackal
I am in the same boat as Ediam. I only started running last year and I am training for the Richmond Half next month which will be my first race. I am using a training plan I found of the Asics website, it's quite basic compared to some plans I have seen but it seems to be pushing me along at a level I am can manage.

I have entered the Canterbury Half and I am thinking of perhaps trying for one or two more races this year. Being quite new to running I am not really sure what a sensible maintenance level of mileage should be. Should it just be what I am comfortable with? I quite like running a cheeky 10miles on the weekend if that helps! :)
Apr 2012
10:25pm, 9 Apr 2012
3,692 posts
  •  
RichHL
I'd keep running those cheeky 10-milers at the weekend but do some interval training, hills or quicker tempo runs during the week. A parkrun on a Saturday morning is a good check on your progress as well as a sociable run. Just how long or intense your weekday sessions are would depend on your current capacity for running and what your targets are.
Apr 2012
10:27pm, 9 Apr 2012
11,525 posts
  •  
DeeGee
2 weeks recovery, then run what you feel is appropriate. Mix it up a bit. Do something different. Speedwork instead of endurance. Once your HM plan catches up to what you're doing, start following the plan.

Take your time with the recovery, then just run what you feel. If all you're aiming for is the HM (and not any other race before then), then don't worry too much about what the plan says until it's back at your level. If you've got the chance to train for a 10k in a few weeks, then go for it, but don't feel you have to.
Apr 2012
9:21am, 10 Apr 2012
4 posts
  •  
lopezthejackal
Thanks for the advice guys. It is much appreciated! :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ediam2009
Hey guys

I am running a half marathon in Sunday April 1st, my next half marathon is 12 weeks late...