Is a parkrun a race, a time trial, or something else?!

50 watchers
Jan 2014
2:42pm, 29 Jan 2014
4,239 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Fwiw I like the idea, post marathon, of going along on a Sunday if one gets set up near me. Not sure the gf will though (promised her I would leave Sundays clear for a while) :-)
Jan 2014
2:43pm, 29 Jan 2014
24,812 posts
  •  
Frobester
I'm not really bothered who I see at parkrun. It's all about me, or in my case, my daughter, against herself. Sure it's good to see a good field, if only for the continued existence of the event, but if they were all completely different people every week it'd make no difference - everyone pretty much shares the welcoming ethos and there are very few sharp elbows!
Jan 2014
2:49pm, 29 Jan 2014
1,041 posts
  •  
Longwayround
I tend to agree that one problem with parkrun™ is that it only takes place on a Saturday morning. Like it or not, there's a lot of people who for that reason cannot fit it into their schedules. At the moment, Great Run Local™ looks a little laughable. I suspect some of the few who first turned up to run around Bushy Park on a Saturday had the same thoughts. I wish GRL™ every success.
Jan 2014
3:08pm, 29 Jan 2014
6,021 posts
  •  
Say No To Pork Sausages
I don't think that's aprobelm with parkrun, they could hardly hold it 9.00am weekdays.
Jan 2014
3:25pm, 29 Jan 2014
1,042 posts
  •  
Longwayround
There are a lot of times during a week which aren't 9am.
Jan 2014
3:36pm, 29 Jan 2014
7,695 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Like 9.30 am
Jan 2014
3:40pm, 29 Jan 2014
24,233 posts
  •  
Old Croc
LOL @ SOAPY
Jan 2014
3:47pm, 29 Jan 2014
8,895 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Generally, one would do what Brendan's doing if there's money in it.
Jan 2014
4:02pm, 29 Jan 2014
103 posts
  •  
Wirral Dave
@HermanBloom - my point was that people have to be proactive to decide to go to Parkrun as it's no something which advertises. GLR, by contrast, will advertise more aggressively and try to encourage people to run who wouldn't have decided otherwise to run. That's not a criticism of Parkrun, or its ability to attract new runners. It's a comment that the target audience for GLR is people who couldn't be bothered to proactively found out that Parkrun exists, which is where those who enjoy it will no doubt end up.

In terms of the money point, I notice that the GLR website says its a not-for-profit activity. I suspect it's intended to be a way of gaining publicity and tax breaks at the same time. It does make you wonder why the same thing couldn't be achieved merely by sponsoring Parkrun (i.e., the Great Perth Parkrun).
Jan 2014
4:08pm, 29 Jan 2014
4,240 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Ah Ok. I've seen PR advertise on FB and stuff like that but didn't realise it didn't do other promotional work.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Trying to draw this question away from Herman's very fun statto thread on "How many races have you...