Is a parkrun a race, a time trial, or something else?!

50 watchers
Jan 2014
4:31pm, 29 Jan 2014
666 posts
  •  
marshallini
Local to me we have Princes Park parkrun (Liverpool) plus on the first Saturday of every month at 10am we have the Merseyvend Halewood 5k, another free to run 5k, both have good turn outs and a fare few people run them both as the "ParkVend Challenge". I have yet to double up. I tend to run the parkrun as training and the MerseyVend Halewood 5k as a race, because it's a fast course.
Feb 2014
10:09am, 14 Feb 2014
337 posts
  •  
Mark-R
Good luck to GRL.

Surely a lot of those who run at GRL will run at pr already. And a lot of those (like me) will have been new to regular running because of parkrun.

The press articles seem to be largely about the Olympic legacy and "inspiring a generation". As well as BF wanting to prove something stats wise by 2020.

I do understand that the press articles are aimed at promoting Great Run in general, but the fact remains that there are 40 or 50,000 runners plodding around 5k every weekend as it is. The articles completely ignore that....
If I choose to run at GRL - which I will if there is one more local to me than the planned Gibside run - will Brendan and GRLtake the credit for getting me out running? :

Not that it really matters.

Good luck to them all the same. :)
Feb 2014
10:36am, 14 Feb 2014
1,553 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Anyone who had to proactively find out about pr clearly doesn't live near me. I was sucked into it by the enthusiastic urgings of someone I knew only slightly. It has spread largely by word of mouth, but there is also occasional publicity (in my area). There are posters up in libraries and GP surgeries, and every now and then the local rag puts a report in. I think it helps that the council is behind it - I think they put up most of the start-up dosh.
Feb 2014
1:03pm, 14 Feb 2014
19 posts
  •  
snayak
I've done the Gibside GRL a couple of times now and while the turnout's been pretty pathetic, it's still quite friendly and a nice alternative if you're not free on Saturdays.
Feb 2014
2:11pm, 14 Feb 2014
1,560 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
I'm late to this whole GRL thing..... a bit off to describe it as "better than parkrun" when it's clearly so similar, also free, and just at a different time. Good to have the option, I reckon, even though I doubt I'll ever go on account of being busy on Sunday mornings.

As for the original question, the answer is clear: parkrun is Something Else!!
Feb 2016
1:30pm, 20 Feb 2016
14,637 posts
  •  
SarahL
Wasn't sure where to ask this question so I'll try here... Having been a regular at parkrun many years ago in its infancy, runners used to get given a tshirt, kids after 10 runs and adults after 50 and 100. Does this still happen? Or has it grown so bi. Now that shirts aren't handed out at key milestones? We've told my 4 year old that he'll get a tshirt if he does 10 runs but now I'm worried I've spoken too soon!?! Please can someone in the know let me know! Ta
Feb 2016
1:35pm, 20 Feb 2016
3,128 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
You still do get the milestone t-shirts, but you have to order them through Wiggle and pay P&P, having gone on a special link. Due to the huge volumes, it does sometimes take a while for the link to become active.

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/200565493-How-do-I-claim-my-club-t-shirt-
Feb 2016
1:40pm, 20 Feb 2016
362 posts
  •  
Flatlander
The answers are on Parkrun

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/200565303-What-are-the-10-50-100-250-Clubs-
and
https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/200565493-How-do-I-claim-my-club-t-shirt-
Your 4yo won't end up disappointed :-).
Feb 2016
1:46pm, 20 Feb 2016
11,420 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Grown so bi, Sarah? That's a novel way to look at the run or race situation ;-).

But yes, what they said. You missed out 250 though. And the 25 volunteer T-shirt. There seems to be an issue with links to claim a shirt expiring, not ideal when supplies are a bit variable, but apparently this is being looked into.
Feb 2016
2:19pm, 20 Feb 2016
14,638 posts
  •  
SarahL
Haha I meant big! Thanks for the info that's ace. I assume the link will just magically appear on his profile. Cheers :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Trying to draw this question away from Herman's very fun statto thread on "How many races have you...