Garmin - bluetooth connectivity issues

4 watchers
Sep 2016
1:57pm, 22 Sep 2016
6,088 posts
  •  
CStar
Anyone else struggle to get their Garmin to connect to iphone/PC Garmin Connect app regularly?

I've had my 235 for a few months now and while it is paired with 2 iPhones and my MS Surface Pro, I find it really flaky to connect and download after each run. Ant+ on my old Garmin worked a treat and was often on my PC even before I had logged in to Fetch or similar.

Most of the time I find I have to connect my 235 via the USB cable to my laptop to get it to log the data. Weirdly it is best on my old iPhone 4S and rubbish on my 6S.

Just a shame as most of the rest of the 235 is pretty good, although I do miss not having the Run Partner feature.
Sep 2016
2:07pm, 22 Sep 2016
11,231 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
I get the occasional Bluetooth connectivity issue with my Garmin Fenix 3 and my iPhone 6s+. I usually have to close down the Garmin Connect app, go to Settings

Bluetooth

My Devices. The click on the (i) icon to open the 'forget this device', then come out of settings without changing anything and re-open Garmin Connect. Once I do that all seems to connect again and I'm good to go...
Sep 2016
2:20pm, 22 Sep 2016
1,306 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
CStar. Exactly the same with my 235 and iPhone 6. Previously it would happily sync with my phone or I pad. It's been a pain for maybe 6 weeks. I've now unlinked it from my phone and it is pretty reliable with the I pad.

I used to have the phone to give me audible feedback when I'm running.. But that's scuppered with this solution.
Sep 2016
3:53pm, 22 Sep 2016
15,828 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I suspect the problem may be at the iPhone end? I have a 235 too and the bluetooth connection with my Android phone is so painless my parkrun is on strava Garmin Connect and Fetch before I've even had my barcode scanned :-)
Sep 2016
7:01pm, 27 Sep 2016
14,715 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I've been doing C25K for 4 weeks using an App on my iPhone 6 and my Vivoactive used to vibrate and show an alert when I need to start running, start walking, cool down etc. Until the last couple of runs when there's no notification. Could this be related? I've tried everything I can think of to sort it but it's been like this since I changed to IOS 10.
I'm uploading runs with no problem though.
Feb 2018
8:11am, 22 Feb 2018
17,384 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
The last android update screwed ours up.
Jun 2018
6:57am, 7 Jun 2018
2,720 posts
  •  
Hohum
I have spent the last 24 hours trying to connect my 235 to my Android phone and got FA. The blue tooth on my phone is working, I am so pissed off with it I am sending it back today.
Jun 2018
8:58am, 7 Jun 2018
736 posts
  •  
Andrew65
Are you using the Garmin Connect app on your phone to connect to the watch?
I can't pair my watch and phone in the normal way that you pair Bluetooth devices but I can if I use the app.
Have you tried removing/forgetting the 235 in the Garmin Connect app and removing it from your phone's bluetooth devices list? I have found that was needed on one occasion.
Once you get it working, it is great but I remember feeling the same as you before I sorted it out.
Jun 2018
9:39am, 7 Jun 2018
23,919 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Garmin connect seems to have been a bit flaky for the last couple of days, says my garmin is syncing when it's patently not. I've had this happen before and it usually sorts itself out after a day or so
Jun 2018
10:36am, 7 Jun 2018
28,851 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Mine "sticks" every now and again. I don't know if it's the Bluetooth on the phone or the Garmin app. I think it's more the phone (Android on a Samsung) because occasionally my home speakers or other Bluetooth devices think they're connected when they're not etc. and I either have to unpair/re-pair or restart the phone. I don' think Garmin Connect app or the Garmin device is actually to blame.

And I have far fewer probs now with corrupt run data causing Garmin to fail to upload now with my Vivoactive 3 to the Connect app on phone vs. the old 310XT via USB to Garmin Express on PC. Argh! That failed all the time! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Anyone else struggle to get their Garmin to connect to iphone/PC Garmin Connect app regularly?

I...