Garmin - bluetooth connectivity issues

4 watchers
Jun 2018
10:44am, 7 Jun 2018
2,798 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
I have intermittent issues. Works fine for months then stops for months.

Issues usually associated with android or Garmin updates or also using Bluetooth to connect to other devices such as hands-free phone or speakers.

Right or wrong I think android and Apple update so much that Garmin don't have support staff to keep up.

Try resets etc and reconnecting etc...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...
Jun 2018
11:06am, 7 Jun 2018
4,970 posts
  •  
larkim
I've had issues from time to time with the Bluetooth service on Android phones bombing out for days. One suggestion which did work for me was resetting all app permissions. A mild pain as subsequently every app that needs access to photos, camera, etc etc need reconfirming but not that big a deal. My Bluetooth on a Motorola G5+ had been much happier all round including pairing / syncing with my watch.
Jun 2018
11:11am, 7 Jun 2018
28,852 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh, NN, that's not good if it doesn't work for months. Mine *always* works again after I do a range of random things - restart phone, turn blue tooth on and off, un-pair / re-pair (that last one is the one where it asks you to put in the 6 digit blue tooth pairing code again. By that last one, I always get it re-working again. Do you find that even after all that it won't reconnect?

Or, is it that it re-connects but won't sync? If it's the latter, then sometimes there's a "corrupt" activity. That happens sometimes. To fix that I have to delete the offending activity (if I can work it out!) or hard reset / factory reset the watch. If the activity is one I really wanted then I export it as a .FIT file and manually upload it in Garmin on computer. But if you don't care about offending activity just delete them all and/or hard reset the watch.

Give us a shout if you're still having probs. :-) G
Jun 2018
11:28am, 7 Jun 2018
2,799 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Happyg- I've done it all before. I mean everything. Even new phone. Didn't fix it. Something to do with the calendar on android. Wouldn't complete a sync.

Then it just started working again. Then stopped for a bit. At the moment it's fine. When it's broke I just connect to a pc.

Just to be clear it doesn't particularly upset me. There really are more serious issues in the world. I actually find it quite amusing.
Jun 2018
1:22pm, 7 Jun 2018
28,853 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good for you NN. Perspective, and all that! Would drive me mad if my run didn't upload to Fetch within seconds of me completing it! ;-)

That's so weird though. How come everyone doesn't have it if it's to do with calendar, cos everyone has calendar on their phone, don't they? Who knows? I've stopped pretending I understand computing devices and now just randomly fiddle around and hope that something works. They're too complicated for most mortals to fix. Like cars. You have to plug in a computer to identify the problem and then the solution is usually just to replace a whole unit, not actually fix anything! :-) G
Jun 2018
3:31pm, 7 Jun 2018
2,800 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Yes. You would think if one was a problem all would be.

I emailed Garmin support and they told me it was known software problem and they'd email when it was fixed. They never did.

If you Google Garmin and calender sync issues lots of hits come up.
Jun 2018
4:06pm, 7 Jun 2018
41 posts
  •  
wardi
I had a Samsung Galaxy J3/FR230 which worked fine together until the last major Samsung update (about 5/6 months ago). After that it simply would not pair with the 230 any more. I sent zip files etc to Garmin who did try to help but in vain. However the 230 WOULD pair to my wife's phone (a J5) plus a mate's phone so I suspected the J3 was the culprit. The J3 had poor storage capacity anyway so I recently treated myself to a Galaxy S7 which works a treat. I think NN has a point in that Garmin are chasing their tails trying to keep up with phone software updates which doesn't help.
Jun 2018
4:32pm, 7 Jun 2018
2,828 posts
  •  
Sweetie
This is a bit of a sore subject with me at the moment. I had my Garmin paired quite happily for months with a Samsung J3 and then it stopped working last month after a Samsung update - absolutely nothing will make them pair again - although the Garmin will pair to other phones. It wouldn't have been a big deal except that a couple of weeks before that I started using Garmin Livetrack for long bike rides - which was brilliant as OH could see exactly where I was and that I still had a heartbeat (he does like to worry!).
Speaking to Garmin they just said it was Samsung's problem with an attitude that very much said 'tough sh*t', I wasn't very impressed.
I am reluctant to upgrade my phone to resolve it, as I figure a few months down the line the same thing will probably happen again.
Nice to have the opportunity to vent here though! :-)
Jun 2018
5:15pm, 7 Jun 2018
28,856 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Interesting, hadn't heard that. I nearly got a J3, when I got my A3 (more storage, better processor etc. I'm told! I wouldn't have cared about that, but if my Garmin had stopped pairing...! :-O End of world stuff!)

Hope you guys find some solution or Garmin or Samsung sort their sh*t out. G'luck. :-) G
Sep 2018
10:41pm, 14 Sep 2018
18,277 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh.

We now have 3 different Garmins that won't talk to Connect at all on 2 newish Android phones and rarely on a work ipad.

I even tried turning my old phone on, as it had been fine for Garminning, but it won't turn on!

My laptop has xp on - too old to run Express.

None of the fixes online work. Thanks for listening, I needed to vent!

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Anyone else struggle to get their Garmin to connect to iphone/PC Garmin Connect app regularly?

I...