Need a new Garmin or similar

5 watchers
Dec 2016
1:10pm, 29 Dec 2016
4,741 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I have had problems with my 305 and Windows 10, I've been using it on an older computer which has gone wrong this holiday and might be for the chop. The 305 is nearly 9 years old so I guess I have had my moneysworth out of it.

What's the comparable replacement that I can easily use with Windows 10? Just for a bit of running, we have other devices for any cycling activities. Doesn't have to be compatible with Smartphones or other gizmos. Needs to do maps so I can do Fetchpoint.
Dec 2016
2:34pm, 29 Dec 2016
1,576 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
When you say "needs to do maps", do you mean display a map on the watch screen? Or just log the route map of the run for Fetch to calculate what you have done in the game?

Changes what you might want quite a bit...
Dec 2016
4:06pm, 29 Dec 2016
19,303 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Get a Suunto Ambit - looks good enough to wear as an ordinary watch, good battery life and display, and excellent navigation, which is a feature Garmin seem to have largely eradicated. Only thing is that it's a bit of a pain uploading to Fetch.
Dec 2016
4:50pm, 29 Dec 2016
4,742 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Not display on screen, just maps of runs. We have a biking one with map display.
Dec 2016
4:51pm, 29 Dec 2016
4,743 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Must be was to load to fetch.
Dec 2016
5:49pm, 29 Dec 2016
1,577 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Have a look on DC Rainmaker for reviews.

dcrainmaker.com If you look at that article, he makes recommendations at various price points. His reviews of you look at the in depth ones are very comprehensive.

Personally I like the simplicity of the link between Garmin and Fetch. So the 620s we use and the Vivos in our household log stuff automatically via WiFi and it ends up on Fetch without anything other than stopping the activity. No cables or uploading.

That said there are plenty of good devices out there now that do things that might be useful to you :-) Have a look at that site, he is really rather good...
Dec 2016
6:45pm, 29 Dec 2016
2,018 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Lots of decisions :

Do you want "smart" notifications ( ie Texts, emails, FB updates, etc ) on the watch ?
Do you want step counting ?
Do you want wifi updating, or happy to use ANT stick ?
Do you want heart rate at the wrist, or happy with chest strap, or not at all ?
Do you want running metrics ( cadence, vertical oscillation, etc, etc ) ?

If "no" to all the above, then get the most basic you can, probably a Garmon FR10, at well under £100.

If "yes" to some and "no" to others then use dcrainmaker comparison page to compare FR10, 15, 25, 220, 225, 230, 235, 610, 620, 630, Vivoactive, etc to find the exact combination you want.

Have fun !!
Dec 2016
8:29pm, 29 Dec 2016
1,290 posts
  •  
FurryHamster
I had been a solid user of 305 and traded up to 310xt as the menus and general functionality is similar. I had to change to garmin express to get files off about a year or so ago. However I upgraded to garmin 235 last year and its a great leap in the technology. I enjoy the syncing with my smartphone to upload and love the built in heart rate monitor in the watch which reads heart rate from wrist. A couple of others in my club also have it and think its a good watch. The sync via a smartphone cuts all the faff out of syncing to pc. I can still do it through windows 10 but rarely need to. Needs a fairly new smartphone with bluetooth.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by icemaiden
I have had problems with my 305 and Windows 10, I've been using it on an older computer which has g...