Fetch F1 Fans

34 watchers
May 2021
8:59am, 24 May 2021
14,468 posts
  •  
larkim
Just Schumacher / Mazepin (and back again) I believe.

And no on track incidents; I don't take joy in crashes, but at Monaco the expectation of small errors of judgements resulting in DNFs or safety cars is something I would pin my hopes on to create an interesting narrative.

Mercedes strategy call was baffling though.
May 2021
9:02am, 24 May 2021
14,354 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
Vettel overtook Gasly but we didn’t see it!
May 2021
9:14am, 24 May 2021
510 posts
  •  
The Mussile
I get the history behind the Monaco GP and it used to be really good when the cars were narrower, shorter had far less grip and were slower. It just doesn't work for modern F1 racing. The main race is on the Saturday as barring a miracle strategy call or a luckily timed safety car the finishing order is mostly defined then. I'd make it a biannual race at best as it does offer a different challenge but its just not fun to watch

Also as a point of order, the idea that you can benefit from crashing out of qualifying is ludicrous. Not suggesting in any way that it was deliberate but there should be something in the rules about any driver causing a red flag will start at the back of that qualifying group, hence Charles would have been in line to start p10. Would also make sense that if there is a red flag in the last 2.5 minutes that anyone out on track gets another flying lap after the track is cleared.
May 2021
9:18am, 24 May 2021
1,149 posts
  •  
Akie
Wasnt sure about counting the Vettel overtake as it was from the pit stop. Less said about TV direction the better as they cut away from the replay too, I only saw it on Twitter.
May 2021
9:19am, 24 May 2021
74,105 posts
  •  
Gobi
have to agree it has been a while since Monaco was a good race
May 2021
9:47am, 24 May 2021
517 posts
  •  
iRicey
I saw a good comment piece, based on the retro McLaren/Gulf livery, that all the teams should buy into a similar mentality and all run retro liveries, pit gear make it into a bit of a F1 festival.

Keeps the interest up when the race is a bit of a formality.
May 2021
10:06am, 24 May 2021
74,108 posts
  •  
Gobi
All teams must run 1960s replica cars :¬)
May 2021
12:52pm, 24 May 2021
4,089 posts
  •  
Pothunter
It’s almost at the point where it should be a non-championship exhibition race. Very dull. The fact that Tsunoda set a fastest lap (before Lewis took it off him) shows just how carefully the rest are going round knowing full well they can’t be overtaken.
May 2021
12:59pm, 24 May 2021
14,484 posts
  •  
larkim
I suspect because of the dull nature of the racing we get a misleading impression of how challenging a race it is to drive. Kudos to the drivers out there that there were so few mistakes given the margins for error.

I would love to attend in person for the GP though; wonder if buying a ticket for Rascasse at €1700 per person is worth it for a race day experience?

senategrandprix.com
May 2021
2:30pm, 24 May 2021
4,090 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I’m sure it is one of the more challenging circuits to drive with very little margin for error but as a spectacle it’s nothing like as exciting as it used to be

Unless of course I’m just an old fart who is looking back with rose tinted glasses and it was always a bit crap...

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Thread for those who like their racing long, predictable but strangely addictive. And generally fossil fuelled.

Spoiler best practice
No quali spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show
No race spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show

Spoiler tags can be used - we're all grown ups so no need to click a Spoiler tag if we don't need to. But just make sure you type it correctly!!

So it needs to be (without the spaces, and all lowercase)

< spoiler >< /spoiler >