SPOTY

10 watchers
Dec 2023
2:57pm, 21 Dec 2023
27,376 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
It used to matter, it doesn’t now - time to move on. A bit like the ‘Top 40 singles chart’.
Dec 2023
3:04pm, 21 Dec 2023
12,464 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Not a fan of Golf but he has stood up firmly to the sportswashing invasion where other players, somealready with enormous wealth, buckled long ago. I'd have been alright with him winning.

Obvs that was about Rory Mcllroy. The furore over who has won what has been there for years, in 86 Nigel Mansell won it because his tyre blew out and he didnt drive his car fast enough. And then in 90 Gazza won it for miscontrolling a ball and crying.

Latterly of course we had the nations sweetheart, Beckham, who won it for having different hairstyles, marrying a spice girl and never even being the best player in his own team. Last seen supplementing his monumental wealth by getting into bed with the people who want to stone the gays. But to be fair, he did queue to see a box with a dead person in it.

Micheal Owen? Wow.

It stuns me that people have a problem with Mary Earps winning it, what a role model she is.
Dec 2023
3:08pm, 21 Dec 2023
12,465 posts
  •  
Joopsy
It used to matter, it doesn’t now - time to move on. A bit like the ‘Top 40 singles chart’.

I don't listen to the top 40, or watch SPOTY, or watch that dancing or jungle thing on telly. I fond them all easy to avoid.

I was equally delighted for Beth Mead.last year, I didn't watch it then either but was so happy that it is creating positive role models for kids from all aspects of society.

I can only see a positive here.
3 Jan
10:09pm, 3 Jan 2024
10,110 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
A lot of talk regarding Luke Littler for SPOTY 2024. As it's an Olympic year and over eleven months away, I wonder if he'll be remembered for shortlisting. He's probably done enough for the Young Sports Personality award already.
3 Jan
10:12pm, 3 Jan 2024
4,039 posts
  •  
paulcook
He won't win it now. Unless he has an absolutely stellar year otherwise, he won't get near the shortlist.

I looked earlier, and for all the (admittedly deserved) talk about his rise so young, he wouldn't even be the country's youngest current world champion.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Torry Quine
Voted for Mo, but I think Joshua will probably win.