Hey you! Help us celebrate six months as an independent website at the Big Free Mile - click for more

The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

9 lurkers | 257 watchers
21 Jun
1:40pm, 21 Jun 2017
26796 posts
HappyG(rrr)
I agree with Gus, that there aren't enough laps (or often aren't even markers?!) in a road 5 miler or even 10K, to make it worth it. Certainly not for anything shorter. Arguably one of the benefits of doing 5000m or even 10000m on the track, is the ability to pace it bang on.

Having said all that, I did catch myself out with Garmin pacing errors on 5K a couple of times, in both directions. Once losing signal meant I was under estimating my speed, so backed off what could have been a 5K PB. And once thinking I was bang on, but was 0.1 or 0.2 miles short and hence missed my PB despite thinking I was in good shape. Not the end of the world of course on a 5K cos you just go along a week or two later and do it again. :-) G
22 Jun
8:37pm, 22 Jun 2017
4944 posts
Peacey
Had a crack at 1500m at an open meeting last night, 4.58 wasn't too shabby off no speedwork since VLM. Enjoyed it.
Anyone else had a bash at track racing?
22 Jun
8:39pm, 22 Jun 2017
11473 posts
Bazoaxe
Thats tasty Peacey......well done

Ive run on a track once. 5:44 for a mile. Winner almost broke 5 and 3rd was about 6mm so was a solo effort. Would like to try a race with people about same as me and see how that went
22 Jun
10:36pm, 22 Jun 2017
4500 posts
chunkywizard
One of the local clubs put on time trials occasionally. I've run a mile twice and 5K. Much easier when you have someone to follow (which I did for the miles but not for the 5K!)
22 Jun
10:36pm, 22 Jun 2017
3046 posts
STOOSH
That's 1 second quicker than me when I did a 1500 a good few years ago...
Always gotta go 1 better eh? ;-)
12:35am
12:35am, 23 Jun 2017
4945 posts
Peacey
Cheers Baz! It's s strange one to gage really, I went off hard, probably paid for it! Found it difficult to gage but I liked it.
lol Stu, nothing between me, you and Paul. Superb 👍🏻
9:15am
9:15am, 23 Jun 2017
26805 posts
HappyG(rrr)
Nice one Peacey. Bazo, we do a mile time trial at Saughton every now and again. Let me know if you want to give it a go and I'll tell you when next one is. I was 5:19, back in the day. Couldn't get anywhere near that now!

Could be a 55 mile week, with 25 miles of running on Sat, but split into two parts - West Highland Way race crewing. I'm driving from 9pm tonight, to Glasgow to get runner registered, weighed in etc. Then drive to checkpoints from race start 1am, checkpoints 2am, 3am, 5am, 6am, 10am, then the second crew meets us 11am and starts running with him. I get to run 2-5pm 11 miles (yes, it's slow, it's a rocky, undulating, exposed moor and he'll have done 70 miles by this point!) then drive again until 8pm and get to do another 15 mile run 8pm until whenever we finish. Last time it was 2.30am! This time hopefully before midnight! Well, that's one way for me to get in my 25 mile long "run"!

Stoosh, are you doing the relay again this year? :-) G

About This Thread

For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey (or help someone else's!) here.

Autumn 2017 plans for racing, or participating for fun/training purposes(*):
---------------------------------
Sept 9 - MedocLiquid carbs - paul the builder(*)
Sept 24 - Berlin - clare1976
Oct 8 - Chester - Nelly, HappyG(rrr), larkim, Bazoaxe
Oct 15 - Loch Rannoch - K5 Gus
Oct 22 - Abingdon - chunkywizard
Oct 28 - Snowdonia - John Bach
Oct 29 - Dublin - paul the builder, BS
---------------------------------
NEW NEWS
Medal! Liquid carbs For Santa! *fist-bump* etc.
The 2017 roll of honour - here's the folk who clocked sub-3:15 so far this year:
StarKinkyS
Starpaul a
StarUyuni
Stardonran
Starwhiteflash
StarPeacey
StarBazoaxe
StarRossco Peeko
StarSTOOSH
StarWindsor Wool
Starpaul the builder
StarFergusG