Hey you! Help us celebrate six months as an independent website at the Big Free Mile - click for more

The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

4 lurkers | 257 watchers
25 Jun
10:40pm, 25 Jun 2017
2199 posts
K5 Gus
I'd really recommend getting the book, it's very well written and laid out. As well as loads of variations on the plans, and how to do each session, it also explains why all the different types of sessions are included. As well as covering other stuff - nutrition, strength training, tapering, etc

Helps to commit to a plan if you understand why as well as how.

Only £15 delivered from Amazon ( or £7.80 used ) - given the hundreds of hours we put into this, plus money we spend on shoes, gels, etc, etc, then seems pretty good value.
26 Jun
10:21am, 26 Jun 2017
26811 posts
HappyG(rrr)
It's a really good book, I'd agree with Gus.

Well done Cam at Lairig Ghru race. Great time and nice to read such a positive post. Larks, great park running, must be bril to cross the line first. Lou, great that you're running strong. Don't overdo it though, obv! Stoosh, mileage building nicely.

Bazo, not great for parkrunning up here with wind at weekend. Tell you what though, that wind didn't half make the West Highland Way tough for the competitors (and even for their poor support crews a bit too!) Felt like about 1 or 2C with 50+ mph winds and sleety, squally showers across the Rannoch Moor to Glen Coe and the Lairig Mor into Fort William. Ouch. My runner did great to complete and in a decent time, though not quite what he was looking for. Nearly 29 miles run (well, a lot of it march walking but you know) and several 000ft of climb. So I'll count it as "long running". :-) G
26 Jun
10:48am, 26 Jun 2017
4519 posts
chunkywizard
I bought a copy! The print copy is on a 1-2 month delivery apparently so I got the Kindle version. Here's the link if anyone else wants a copy: Link (roll over me to see where I go)
11:03am
11:03am, 28 Jun 2017
26814 posts
HappyG(rrr)
Gosh, you lot must all be training too hard to chat!

Moving house gets in way of training shocker! My wife keeps dragging me to look at houses. Last night was supposed to be short run and bit of gym work to ease out the West Highland Way pains. I didn't mind missing Monday night gym work, but missing Tue too, including a run. Argh! I don't even want to move! (This should be on the Things You Want To Say But Can't thread!)

Anyhoo, gentle club run tonight, then hopefully a parkrun on Sat to set a baseline (20 odd mins?) for future speed work?

Hope all the autumn mara training (or base building, if you do base then a 12 week plan) is going well. :-) G

About This Thread

For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey (or help someone else's!) here.

Autumn 2017 plans for racing, or participating for fun/training purposes(*):
---------------------------------
Sept 9 - MedocLiquid carbs - paul the builder(*)
Sept 24 - Berlin - clare1976
Oct 8 - Chester - Nelly, HappyG(rrr), larkim, Bazoaxe
Oct 15 - Loch Rannoch - K5 Gus
Oct 22 - Abingdon - chunkywizard
Oct 28 - Snowdonia - John Bach
Oct 29 - Dublin - paul the builder, BS
---------------------------------
NEW NEWS
Medal! Liquid carbs For Santa! *fist-bump* etc.
The 2017 roll of honour - here's the folk who clocked sub-3:15 so far this year:
StarKinkyS
Starpaul a
StarUyuni
Stardonran
Starwhiteflash
StarPeacey
StarBazoaxe
StarRossco Peeko
StarSTOOSH
StarWindsor Wool
Starpaul the builder
StarFergusG