Pssst! Follow us on Twitter if you're awesome

The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

8 lurkers | 269 watchers
8:44am
8:44am, 20 Nov 2017
27770 posts
HappyG(rrr)
if 3:10 is your target, you'll get 3:09 or 3:08 and that's pretty impressive both as an absolute mara time and in terms of progress I'd say larks.

And half the fun is racing 10Ks and half during mara training (if the races fit in the training plan) and seeing improvements. :-) G
8:57am
8:57am, 20 Nov 2017
62002 posts
Gobi
I wouldnt target as low as 3.10 but then again that makes it easy.
8:58am
8:58am, 20 Nov 2017
3180 posts
Curly45
I would be working on sub 1:25 for a sub 3 target (thats run in campaign, fairly fresh from a mini taper).

I am injured in case anyone wonders (probably not lets be honest) why I have been quite quiet. Strained my calf almost two weeks ago, then my back went on the opposing side. Keeping busy with cycling, but its not running!

The worst thing is, after slogging my guts out to get qualification for SEAA Inter-Counties I am now not sure I will be able to run...the race is on the get my healed and fit for Dec 9th :-O

I will *never* get full inter-counties Surrey qual (requires sub 35:30 10k at the moment!), so this was probably my on chance to run in a county vest. Bit sad but trying to take one day at a time...
9:03am
9:03am, 20 Nov 2017
2118 posts
jdarun
Maybe someone already said it but the fetch calculator (based on race data) actually converts 1:26 to 3:10. I'd say that should be quite comfortably achievable, the fetch data must include a lot of people who screw up in a number of ways (including targeting 3:00 and crashing at the end!).

About This Thread

For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey (or help someone else's!) here.

Autumn 2017 plans for racing, or participating for fun/training purposes(*):
---------------------------------
We're done! Have a rest.
---------------------------------
NEW NEWS
Medal! Liquid carbs For Santa! *fist-bump* etc.
The 2017 roll of honour - here's the folk who clocked sub-3:15 so far this year:
StarKinkyS
Starpaul a
StarUyuni
Stardonran
Starwhiteflash
StarPeacey
StarBazoaxe
StarRossco Peeko
StarSTOOSH
StarWindsor Wool
Starpaul the builder
StarFergusG