Hi ,
It looks like you're using an ad blocker, which is understandable if you don't like ads. Who does really? However, our site is free for you to use because of a mixture of adverts and voluntary donations from users. Please consider enabling ads for our website, or making a voluntary donation.
Thanks,
Ian Williams - Fetcheveryone

The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

1 lurker | 288 watchers

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.
10:49am
10:49am, 18 Jan 2019
6576 posts
larkim
Consider myself scolded WW!! You're right of course. Work stresses might be dampening my enthusiasm not to spend time sat in front of the TV with a glass of red and a lump of cheese, so I just need to man up and get out there more consistently!

I've got plans to run tonight, and then parkrun in the morning to the best of my current ability. And I might try to find the enthusiasm to run down to the 4VHM by a nice long back route.

But then again, I might drive, eat cheese and watch Netflix...
10:51am
10:51am, 18 Jan 2019
6577 posts
larkim
And whilst it's irrelevant to this thread, you'll be delighted to know that the insurers paid up in full without any difficulty for the nicked bikes, so at least that went well! Quite impressive really, claim went in electronically at 9:30 on Wednesday night, by 2pm on Thursday I put the phone down with the claims handlers and by 6pm I'd had a call from Evans telling me one bike was ready to collect next day and a voucher emailed to me for Halfords to sort out one of the others. Very impressive work.
10:53am
10:53am, 18 Jan 2019
1523 posts
Uyuni
Give parkrun a right good go lark - while you'll obviously be someway off 5k PB form you might surprise yourself. Nothing helps with the mojo like having a good thrash at a race. I also reckon seeing loads of folk burying themselves at the end of the 4VHM will help as well
10:56am
10:56am, 18 Jan 2019
30143 posts
HappyG(rrr)
My approach is this larkim:

sprout if you don't fancy a run at all, say you'll just do a short easy one. Keeps you ticking over, stops there being a gap.

run If you have a longer or faster run planned but don't fancy it, cut it down to a short easy one. Once you are out, you'll often do longer or quicker than you planned.

:-) If you don't fancy time away or a drive to get there, just go from your door.

decorate If you don't fancy boring, flat, tarmac, then gift yourself a lovely off road run, in hills or beach etc.
blueshoes Conversely, if you don't like mud or hills or off-road, then pick a nice flat, well surfaced section etc.
snow And in extremis, if you really don't like the look of the weather, try a treadmill run (at a public gym, often only £3 or £4 - any you might get a swim or bit of stretching in there for that price too!) Only time I do treadmill is if it is like a skating rink outside and risk of serious injury. But hey, if folk don't like cold or rain, indoor running is always an option.

Basically, remove the obstacle that stops you going, go and do *something* and while something is better than nothing, something often turns in to "something quite decent". Enjoy! :-) G
SKR
11:04am
11:04am, 18 Jan 2019
546 posts
SKR
Nice tips HG, another one i'd throw in is use a pair of more cushioned shoes. That works sometimes when i'm dreading a particular easy run. Treadmill used to be my go-to but i've not quite enjoyed the treadmill this training cycle.
3:25pm
3:25pm, 18 Jan 2019
3656 posts
jdarun
I've found a few things on the telly that I only watch on the tready. Quite look forward to a gentle trundle as a result...
3:27pm
3:27pm, 18 Jan 2019
6588 posts
larkim
I do wonder sometimes if a treadmill would remove some of that "inner Homer" because I can stick on something to watch that I'd otherwise miss out on. Maybe some day I'll lose my treadmill virginity.
3:43pm
3:43pm, 18 Jan 2019
30146 posts
HappyG(rrr)
Ironically, the one thing I don't / can't do on a treadmill is watch a TV screen! They are usually below eye level at my gym (should look forward not down for good running form), I get motion sickness, and I generally need to concentrate on foot fall and not getting spat off the back etc. because I usually do intervals or some other faster stuff and I need to concentrate.

Rowing or bike I can do for 1 - 1.5 hours and watch a whole game of rugby or similar. Olympics was great. Or rugby WC! :-) G
4:32pm
4:32pm, 18 Jan 2019
13941 posts
Bazoaxe
Its probably more than 10 years since I ran on a treadmill and in fact I ran my first 2 sub 40 10ks (if they were calibrated correctly) on treadmills. I wouldn't fancy doing a faster run while watching telly as you might risk falling off the back.

I do recall one guy doing intervals one day and must say he was pretty good at it, and had a knack of hitting the stop button without falling off.
4:42pm
4:42pm, 18 Jan 2019
30147 posts
HappyG(rrr)
Yay, managed a wee late 4 miler. Nice.

I have done some pretty quick (for me) interval sessions on treadmill. Back in 2010/11 when I was doing Furman, with prescribed paces for intervals and tempos, and it was a really bad winter, I did a lot. I remember 17kph being fast, and having to slow it down to jog recoveries, not using stop, but using the - - - minus button to get it down 10 kph jog for recoveries. Nearly spat me off the back a couple times! :-) G

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey (or help someone else's!) here.

Spring 2019....
These are marathon plans for racing, or participating for fun/training purposes(*):
---------------------------------

NEW NEWS
medal pint champagne *fist-bump* etc.
Successes in 2018:
- RussellW
- Brunski
- Sjjh
- Ian
- puzzler
- SailorSteve

POTM (flexibily defined...)
Gobi #63166, p.6545
(updated 09/02/2018)
Especially:
"""Guys n Gals - I implore you to think about the effort, wear an HRM but learn about RPE and mostly put away ego and thoughts about natural pace.

Speed is earned through smart running"""