When did/will you peak?

11 watchers
Dec 2018
4:12am, 26 Dec 2018
3,521 posts
  •  
jdarun
I'm another in the 7-8 years of improvement phase. Started running in about 2011 (first 10k race was literally the longest I'd ever run) and have eased myself into more serious training very gradually since. Was pretty low mileage for a while, still generally well under 60mpw though I may exceed that occasionally for the coming marathon campaign. Like to do a little cross-training which probably helps avoid injury and over-use.

Have set PBs each year since I started racing, expecting more this year as a new V50. I know it will end some time but no sign of it so far.
Dec 2018
12:05pm, 26 Dec 2018
1,266 posts
  •  
Brunski
Hope I'm still setting PBs into the v50 category JDA.

I guess it's hard to gauge but I sometimes wonder how much quicker those of us that started running as veterans might have run if we'd started running/training in our 20s, maybe we wouldn't have stuck at it so long though.
Dec 2018
12:14pm, 26 Dec 2018
40,076 posts
  •  
Raptors Claws are coming to town
One of the 10km races I ran this year took my time and adjusted it to show that the equivalent FS time was 42ish minutes. So I wouldn't have made the 'limpicks even at my peak, but I'd have been OK.
Dec 2018
12:30pm, 26 Dec 2018
13,804 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Brunski, that question has always nagged at me, and you will see my question of Gus for MoTM is on the vein. I suspect if we started racing in our youth we would probably not be running now and certainly not as well and as close to PBs. I think I was 49 at last PB, but harbour hopes of some still out there waiting to be run
Dec 2018
1:56pm, 26 Dec 2018
3,523 posts
  •  
jdarun
Fortunately I did try at a bit of sport earlier in my life, so I know the limits to my ability and have no such regrets. I edged into the school cross-country team (which was mostly for people who didn't want to play team sports) but there were a couple of proper runners who were streets ahead. At university I rowed as seriously as I could, again reaching my limits which were well below the proper talent (admittedly some of this was multiple olympic gold winning-talent so quite a tough benchmark).

So I'm sure in my 20s/30s I would have run a faster marathon if I'd spent a few years trying but it still wouldn't have been anything special. RBR lists 100 men going sub-2:30 last year.
Dec 2018
2:20pm, 26 Dec 2018
1,267 posts
  •  
Brunski
I smoked from my teens and into my 30s, but kept active at the same time. I played competitive football, not to a great standard but top division Sunday league sides in Sheffield and a bit of Saturday stuff. I was at least 2 stones heavier but still had a decent turn of pace, etc.

I've no doubt at all I'd have been a better footballer if I'd had the fitness I have now back then.

The age grading on parkrun websites often puts me ahead of younger runners who can run almost a minute quicker, so I guess I might've troubled sub 16 over 5k had I trained in my early 20s.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Brunski
An ageing runner starts a thread wondering whether recent improvements in times are likely to continue into his forties, looking for personal stories of people experiences, their 'golden years' where they hit some of their best times. But also willing to hear how age deteriorates times, how his improvements may be short lived and maybe give him an idea of how many years he has to play with....?