When did/will you peak?

11 watchers
Nov 2016
10:32pm, 11 Nov 2016
428 posts
  •  
Ulric
xc captain I meant to say. Turns 69 next week.
Nov 2016
5:40pm, 18 Nov 2016
87 posts
  •  
Brunski
Just revisiting this thread, and wow those are some great times by veterans in the links.

I'd like to think, being a late starter to running I might be able to improve a bit but those times are seriously quick!
Dec 2016
8:30pm, 4 Dec 2016
98 posts
  •  
Brunski
Bit of a bump to this thread I started a month or so ago.

Last weekend I shaved a few seconds off my 5k PB at Sheffield Hallam parkrun to 17:43.

I then followed it up with a 36:43 today to obliterate my 10k PB (that was in need of improvement from 39:10) at today's Percy Pud (also Sheffield).

Going to get back on the heart rate training (Hadd style) over the Winter for another shot at improving my PBs next year, loving this running lark 😀
Dec 2016
8:31pm, 4 Dec 2016
99 posts
  •  
Brunski
Sorry 36:34 today, doing myself out of 9 seconds 😬
Dec 2018
7:39pm, 25 Dec 2018
1,261 posts
  •  
Brunski
Bumpitty bump for a thread I started just after joining Fetch.

Safe to say I'm still improving, this year I've run:

parkrun - 16:44 (been after sub-17 for a while, it happened 2 weeks before my latest marathon)
10k - not raced but would've smashed my 36:34 as took a good minute off that within my 10m PB.
10M - 58:01 in York on 14/10, this was a big breakthrough for me as was hoping to just dip under the hour)
1/2 - ran 1:29:24 in a HM pre-London, sub 80 was another target 😀)
Marathon 1:53:xx - this is the distance I've not really got right yet in my head, a massive 6.5 minute PB but the last 4/5 miles I was spewing time/positions.

I've run over 3,000 miles this year, got a little addicted to running, had a huge streak, been relatively injury free, and at 43 I still think I have a couple years of improvement infront of me.

Here's hoping!

Anyone else still on the improvement train?
Dec 2018
7:55pm, 25 Dec 2018
40,069 posts
  •  
Raptors Claws are coming to town
Your progress and performance have been phenomenal, Brunski.

My WAVAs are creeping up, my absolute times are not, but I've now got the opportunity to get closer to the mileage I was putting in when I ran most of my PBs (this year it's been around half). I don't know how that will work out but am looking forward to giving it a whirl.
Dec 2018
8:44pm, 25 Dec 2018
1,264 posts
  •  
Brunski
Mileage is absolutely key for me V, I've managed to build a little extra into each wave of race prep (usually around marathons), to get to where I am now. I don't think my work/home balance would allow me to push the mileage up much more than it is but reckon I could maybe cope physically with an extra 5-10 miles a week as long as I continued with mainly was easy/steady running.

I've loved going through the 80% wava this year, last year I was hovering just below and that 10 miler in York was a breakthrough.
Dec 2018
10:01pm, 25 Dec 2018
2,762 posts
  •  
Hohum
I'm not sure if I'm going to peak over the next couple of years, I've just had a brilliant year this year, lost over 10kg in weight, smashed up the mileage, and gone from the back of the field to closer to the front. Don't know about PBs as all of my races are off road, and conditions vary so much, but some races I have knocked off over 10 minutes on previous years. I've also got a fantastic running partner who has pushed me and unwittingly helped me in many other ways, especially mentally. I've also got professional friends (coaches, physios, etc) who have all helped with ideas and training advice. 55, before you ask :-D
Dec 2018
10:03pm, 25 Dec 2018
28,151 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
^ good effort Hohum
Dec 2018
10:22pm, 25 Dec 2018
1,265 posts
  •  
Brunski
Hohum knocking 10 minutes off a previous time counts as a PB in my book, or a cPB or however you want to clarify it. Good work 👍

Most importantly finding friends through running and it helping get through theeveryday stuff is bloody fantastic 😀

About This Thread

Maintained by Brunski
An ageing runner starts a thread wondering whether recent improvements in times are likely to continue into his forties, looking for personal stories of people experiences, their 'golden years' where they hit some of their best times. But also willing to hear how age deteriorates times, how his improvements may be short lived and maybe give him an idea of how many years he has to play with....?