Walkers of the UK, some recomendations on routes if you please

12 watchers
Feb 2016
10:23am, 18 Feb 2016
21,758 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Shock! Horror! Probe! I'd advise *against* the C2C for foreign visitors: it isn't waymarked at all. There are plenty of guidebooks but I think it's a very hard ask for anyone not versed in UK rights of way etc. When bad weather comes down, some of the bits in the Lakes are a bit dangerous.

Similarly, the Pennine Way. It's pretty remote in parts, even in the Peak Districty bits so you end up going through *no* towns and villages.

Soooooooo, if they want some experience of upland English countryside that goes through some small villages - with cafes & accomodation etc, I'd be another one to recommend The Dales Way. It's well waymarked, goes through beautiful scenery, follows a series of rivers, but also climbs over a couple of watersheds. It's well supplied for accomodation and has transport at either end.
.B.
Feb 2016
10:40am, 18 Feb 2016
21,605 posts
  •  
.B.
If they do fancy the Coast to Coast (we loved it) then they can use a company to book everything and carry their stuff. We used this one and they were excellent.
c2cpackhorse.co.uk
All the accommodation was good and they include travel to start and back from the end.

We used a gps with the route marked and had no problem route finding. It was great, though we did have alot of rain despite being there in July!
The South Downs Way is beautiful and shorter, a week for a comfortable 100 miles. They'd need nearer two weeks for the Coast to Coast.
Feb 2016
10:57am, 18 Feb 2016
4,969 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Great stuff, thanks so much guys. She has already come back saying she will have a long planning meeting with her husband!
Feb 2016
10:58am, 18 Feb 2016
21,759 posts
  •  
McGoohan
How old is this couple and how much walking have they done?
Feb 2016
11:01am, 18 Feb 2016
4,970 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Mid 30's I would think. Not sure how much walking they have done (she says a lot but have no idea how much that is in Israel!) but they do a ton of mountain biking over there (the whole group does). So if the question is regarding fitness, there should be no issue there.
Feb 2016
12:53pm, 18 Feb 2016
3,106 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
The national trails (http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/the-trails) tend to be much better waymarked than things like the C2C. That said, I know of a party of 70-somethings that did C2C last summer without any problem and they certainly weren't using a GPS.

SW Coastal Path & Pembrokeshire coastal path are pretty spectacular (and different from Israel), but a *lot* of up and down involved. Peddars Way is only a couple of days and not particularly exciting; the Norfolk coastal path section is much nicer.
Feb 2016
5:36pm, 18 Feb 2016
27,091 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Speyside Way
Feb 2016
5:55pm, 18 Feb 2016
11,149 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Yes, the Peddars way/ Northe Norfolk coastal path was excellent, a big chnage of scenery half way, very few people on it, lots of nice villages to pass through, although very empty to begin with, the coastal part is great, lots of pubs too, can't go wrong.

I would vote for pembrokeshire coastal path too, and Hadrians wall, and part sof the peak district, the penine way is quite hard for some, what about the ridgeway if they want to stay in the south?
Feb 2016
5:58pm, 18 Feb 2016
12,363 posts
  •  
HowFar?
South West Coastal path is beautiful - at least the North Devon section I was on was. There are a lot of ups and downs though, as Ceratonia said.
Feb 2016
7:47pm, 18 Feb 2016
20,218 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
South West Coastal Path is great (but is up and down like a bride's nightie)

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Hello :-)

I work for a company based over in Israel. A colleague over there is intending to come ...